2008 - Current Dodge Avenger The new Dodge Avenger gives a sporty look to the often drab mid-sized sedan class, with the possible future option of AWD and a performance engine upgrade.

LOUD Lifters on startup

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 02:51 PM
futil
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: LOUD Lifters on startup

Well.. I think it depends on a person's knowledge of vehicles on weather or not that manual would be useful.. If you just wanted to get a general idea on how to fix things im sure there would be plenty of areas that would be simular enough to assist you in repairing your car.. but there are going to be lots ofimages and infothat will be different soI wouldnt use the guide for anything specific like torque settings, or electrical diagrams.. etc..

General items like "how do I change my brake pads" should be close enough for people to use with that guide so it wouldnt be an absolute waste but they still shouldntbe selling itforuse with a2008 Avenger.

Either way thats too much $ for a guide not made for your car when you can probably find a manual not made for your car for free online to get a general mechanical feel for repairing the car.

Old 11-11-2007, 03:13 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Loud lifters were a fairly common trouble on the first gen avengers ... most were fixed just with an oil flush ... Others required the valve covers pulled off and cleaning oil passageways ... This was mostly on higher mileage motors or people that used high parrafin content oil (quaker sludge ect)...

Old 11-11-2007, 03:43 PM
SueK
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: futil

Well.. I think it depends on a person's knowledge of vehicles on weather or not that manual would be useful.. If you just wanted to get a general idea on how to fix things im sure there would be plenty of areas that would be simular enough to assist you in repairing your car.. but there are going to be lots ofimages and infothat will be different soI wouldnt use the guide for anything specific like torque settings, or electrical diagrams.. etc..

General items like "how do I change my brake pads" should be close enough for people to use with that guide so it wouldnt be an absolute waste but they still shouldntbe selling itforuse with a2008 Avenger.

Either way thats too much $ for a guide not made for your car when you can probably find a manual not made for your car for free online to get a general mechanical feel for repairing the car.
I would like a guide that shows basic pictures of the motor and has things labeled so I can get to know this engine. I guess like a tear down of everything.

Old 11-19-2007, 11:50 AM
pbearfin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As the lifter noise increases, I have noticed a pause in the noise.
so on a cold start the noise accures for 15 sec pauses for 5 then continues for about a minute. keep in mind I now have 17k miles and I live in NH where temps are dipping below freezing now. just for fun I started two avengers on the lot and lthey were quiet so much for normal.

Old 11-19-2007, 12:09 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Curious What Oil you running ??? Brand ??? Viscosity ???

Old 11-19-2007, 01:35 PM
futil
Veteran

Good question Bad venge.. You may need to lower your oil viscosity cause it may not be able to get flowing quickly with those tempratures.. (I know thats where you were going with that bad) ..

Tell ya what.. let me know when you have time and ill hop in my car, drive down there, and we'll strip down your car and put new lifters in it.. We can replace the crankshaft and bearings too if you think that might be an issue as well..

Old 11-19-2007, 02:09 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

I was thinking synthetic might adhere better and help with cold starts as well as the viscosity issue mentioned above ...

Quick Reply: LOUD Lifters on startup