2008 - Current Dodge Avenger The new Dodge Avenger gives a sporty look to the often drab mid-sized sedan class, with the possible future option of AWD and a performance engine upgrade.

LOUD Lifters on startup

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 07:57 PM
pbearfin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LOUD Lifters on startup

Has anyone else noticed extremely load lifters for about the first minute and a half after cold start. I have brought this thing in 7 times for this and the transmision slaming into and out of 2nd or 3rd gear.

the lifter noise started lightly at about 1500 miles. It has been gradually getting louder. I heard on ,only a few from the assembly line, that there was a rocker arm problem that allows the lifters to colapse. But the dealership would tell me they couldn't hear it and finally when I started it in front of them the tech told me that this diesel type sound that can be heard from inside the house is normal..

If I didn't love the car so much I would have Lemon Lawed it by now. Has anyone else had this problem and did they fix it.

Old 09-28-2007, 11:20 PM
SueK
Professional
Default RE: LOUD Lifters on startup

ORIGINAL: pbearfin

Has anyone else noticed extremely load lifters for about the first minute and a half after cold start. I have brought this thing in 7 times for this and the transmision slaming into and out of 2nd or 3rd gear.

the lifter noise started lightly at about 1500 miles. It has been gradually getting louder. I heard on ,only a few from the assembly line, that there was a rocker arm problem that allows the lifters to colapse. But the dealership would tell me they couldn't hear it and finally when I started it in front of them the tech told me that this diesel type sound that can be heard from inside the house is normal..

If I didn't love the car so much I would have Lemon Lawed it by now. Has anyone else had this problem and did they fix it.
I haven't, but I am making a list of things I ain't too happy with lol

Old 11-09-2007, 11:42 PM
futil
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I have slightly over 1000 miles on my car now and I have been noticing a lifter tick on cold start up for about 30 seconds. I would assume its a lubrication issue where it just takes a while for the oil to get into the lifters and quiet them down, possibly a design flaw or a low pressure oil system ... although its possible that it ispoorlydesigned liftersto compliment the rest of the poorly designed car

The lifters could also be breaking in but that doesn't sound normal and I have never seen this with other cars during break in (Just trying to state all the possibilities)

I really think its a lubrication issue though becausethe tickingdisappears after a little while.

After my first oil change from the dealer I am going to replace their oil with Mobil 1 Extended Performance 10W-30 which shouldn't make much of a difference with the lifter noise.. but I am also going to replace the stock oil filter with a K&N HP-2010 oil filter because they have incorporated a Anti Drain Back Valve into their filter which prevents oil from draining back into the oil pan and will supply oil to the top half of the engine faster since it doesn't have to start pumping oil from the bottom of the engine on start-up.. it just picks up where it left off and continues pumping oil which should help reduce wear on the engine which occurs predominantly on start-up when there is no oil in the top of the engine.

Im gonna try this because its cheap and easy, couldnt hurt to try it,and there is no way in hell I'm going to let the dealer take my engine apart and replace the lifters if there is a problem with them unless the engine is in imminent danger of blowing up or has already blown up. Its been my experience that when you have people play with your new engine no matter how good they are, your engine never really is the same afterwards..

Old 11-10-2007, 10:25 AM
SueK
Professional

ORIGINAL: futil

Well I have slightly over 1000 miles on my car now and I have been noticing a lifter tick on cold start up for about 30 seconds. I would assume its a lubrication issue where it just takes a while for the oil to get into the lifters and quiet them down, possibly a design flaw or a low pressure oil system ... although its possible that it ispoorlydesigned liftersto compliment the rest of the poorly designed car

The lifters could also be breaking in but that doesn't sound normal and I have never seen this with other cars during break in (Just trying to state all the possibilities)

I really think its a lubrication issue though becausethe tickingdisappears after a little while.

After my first oil change from the dealer I am going to replace their oil with Mobil 1 Extended Performance 10W-30 which shouldn't make much of a difference with the lifter noise.. but I am also going to replace the stock oil filter with a K&N HP-2010 oil filter because they have incorporated a Anti Drain Back Valve into their filter which prevents oil from draining back into the oil pan and will supply oil to the top half of the engine faster since it doesn't have to start pumping oil from the bottom of the engine on start-up.. it just picks up where it left off and continues pumping oil which should help reduce wear on the engine which occurs predominantly on start-up when there is no oil in the top of the engine.

Im gonna try this because its cheap and easy, couldnt hurt to try it,and there is no way in hell I'm going to let the dealer take my engine apart and replace the lifters if there is a problem with them unless the engine is in imminent danger of blowing up or has already blown up. Its been my experience that when you have people play with your new engine no matter how good they are, your engine never really is the same afterwards..
Sounds like common sense to me in what you said. There's nothing there at the beginning of start up to lubricate the lifters and the oil isn't being pumped quick enough to them. Another bad design I guess. That's nice if they're bone dry. [:@] lol

Old 11-10-2007, 11:08 PM
futil
Veteran

Lifters and upper half engine parts are usually dry on startup with most cars.. But if your oil pump gets oil to them immediately on startup or if there is a small sump that keeps the lifters saturated with oil until the oil pump is able to resume fresh oil supply thereare usually no issues..

I cant really say for sure whats going on inside the engine on the 2008 Avenger as I have never disassembled one yet and I cant seem to find any decent maintenance guides on them either but its obvious that its either lubrication or they need to warm up to reach clearance tolerances (Doubtful on the latter)

I am almost tempted to go with some gimmicky Slick 50 type additive but I have always tried to avoid them and since they usually claim that their products bond molecularly to the engine parts I can see that contributing to sludge years down the road.. (You rarely see the effects of these additives advertized after running a car for 50000 miles)

Out of all the filters I checked out K&N was the only one I could find that offeredan anti drain back valve which is whyI am recommending it..

Anyway.. Here are the links to the K&N oil filters in case anyone is interested in using them

2008 Avenger 2.7L and 3.5L engines
http://store.knfilters.com/search/pr...x?Prod=HP-2010

2008 Avenger 2.4L engines
http://store.knfilters.com/search/pr...x?Prod=HP-1017

Old 11-10-2007, 11:52 PM
SueK
Professional

That's why I would like a repair manual or something pretty soon on my car.When I talked to Chilton's and Haynes they said proably next year. Even if it's a cheap Haynes, I still want to study things. The one on ebay that's a cd is proably junk right? I've seen it for months,But I've never heard of anyone saying they bought one.

Old 11-10-2007, 11:57 PM
futil
Veteran

I dont know exactly which CD you are referring to but the ones I have seen there look like theyare probably a 2007 Dodge/Chrysler general maintenance manuals sold as 2008.

Old 11-11-2007, 12:21 AM
SueK
Professional

I dont know exactly which CD you are referring to but the ones I have seen there look like theyare probably a 2007 Dodge/Chrysler general maintenance manuals sold as 2008.
This one http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dodge...spagenameZWD1V

Old 11-11-2007, 04:29 AM
futil
Veteran

lol Talk about a good guess..

The title of that ebayitem is:
Dodge Avenger Chrysler Sebring Service Manual 2007 07

So its a service manual made for a 2007 Chrysler Sebring.. Dodge didnt start re-making the Dodge Avenger again until 2008 and even though the Sebring is simular I wouldnt waste my time with that manual.. Well.. unless you own a 2007 Sebring or want to be a Sebring Expert

I just love it when people post items made for other vehicles and slap a picture of a 2008 Dodge avenger on it.. Wastes so much of my searching time.. Although it kinda worked out well with the hood scoops

Old 11-11-2007, 11:46 AM
SueK
Professional

lol Talk about a good guess..

The title of that ebayitem is:
Dodge Avenger Chrysler Sebring Service Manual 2007 07

So its a service manual made for a 2007 Chrysler Sebring.. Dodge didnt start re-making the Dodge Avenger again until 2008 and even though the Sebring is simular I wouldnt waste my time with that manual.. Well.. unless you own a 2007 Sebring or want to be a Sebring Expert

I just love it when people post items made for other vehicles and slap a picture of a 2008 Dodge avenger on it.. Wastes so much of my searching time.. Although it kinda worked out well with the hood scoops
Yup I found quite a few idems like that too that claim it's for a 2008 Avenger. It is a waste of time. Or the stores that have the same stuff over and over again and have the same looking list as others. That service manual isn't cheap and I think I'd be really mad at that price if it didn't have anything I could use.

Quick Reply: LOUD Lifters on startup