2008 - Current Dodge Avenger The new Dodge Avenger gives a sporty look to the often drab mid-sized sedan class, with the possible future option of AWD and a performance engine upgrade.

MyGIG Software Update

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 09:43 PM
futil
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: MyGIG Software Update

I wanted to add a few things I just found out..

Ispoke with Harman Becker about the missing volume issue and they say its caused by a corrupt hard drive which doesn't really make sense to me because if the hard drive was corrupt it would always crash in the same place on startup and wouldn't happen exactly the same way to so many people.. Not to mention it wouldnt happen randomly.. But their recommendation was to bring your car back to the dealer and have them replace the radio with a new one due to the "Hard drive corruption". On the up side you will probably get a new radio with the offical version of the unofficial patch (Which was probably official at one point anyway) lol

WhileI was at it I asked if there was any way they could leak any info to me about enabling video while driving.. But No dice.. They said that it was illegal (I assume under the contract with Dodge/Chrysler) and after market radios go by different laws so that's why they would not release a crack or any info to me.. I explained all the ways people are trying to work around the issue and that there was a large desire for the feature for passenger use.. I figured I would maybe save a bunch of people some $ by not having to buy monitors or the freeGIG module. I can respect their decision to obey the laws and not put themselves at risk by releasing software that could potentially get them in trouble so I wont push the issue any further.. I figured it was worth a shot though

Old 01-28-2008, 12:09 PM
hanhphuoc
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is my first post. I was reading about the "Nav freaking out" issue. I was wondering if my problem qualifies as the same freaking out and if the update you are speaking of will help.

When I turn the vehicle on, everything seems to work just fine. When I start driving, the map on the screen doesn't budge. However, theGPS coordinates change and continue to work. But as soon as I input a POI and tell it to "go" it goes, weather or not the vehicle is moving....sort of like when you hit "simulate route." Then, it thinks it is already at it's destination, and I could be sitting in the same spot and never moved. The only way to get it to the current location again to to shut the vehicle off and wait.

After telling me that it may be a wheel sensor and a million other things, the dealer did tell me to wait for the software update and on the 18th they told me it hadn't been released. Do you have any more information on when they will release the the official update? I am not savvy with the tech stuff, so trying the unofficial download is not an option for me.....I will definately mess it up.

Old 01-28-2008, 01:04 PM
futil
Veteran

I just recontacted them just now (Monday 1/28/08) and requested status on the CD.. They're going to kill me because I bust their nuts so much lol
But I will let you know as soon as I hear back from them.

Just so you know, Unless you want toknow the release date to know when to expect it at the dealer and then go to the dealer to have theupdate installed,you will still have to burn the CD and insert it into your radio when the latestofficial software update is posted. It really isn't hard and all you need it patients if you decide to upgrade it yourself. Worst case scenario is the radio stops working, you go to the dealer and get a new radio and that will likely fix your problem anyway.. Plus you get your 1 year offree satellite radio resetagain..

The problems you are describing does not sound like the same issue that I am having as my Nav does work.. But I would recommend that anyone having issues with their radio and you want to try resolving themyourself to apply the official patch when it is released as it is supposed to address a lot of issues including a hard drive corruption bug which Harman Becker claims is the root of most of these issues.
Even if you want to try the non official patch, thatshouldn't cause any newissues as long as you install it correctly and that is what I am running in my car now however if you can wait a little while I would hold out for the newestupgrade to be released.

Also keep in mind that these are software updates and not firmware updates.. The radio also has firmware in it which is used for core functions, So as long asyour problem lies in the software and not in the firmware or hardware then your problem will likely be resolved by a reinstall. The latest firmware version is 15.0 and no CD has been issued to anyone that would like to share the firmware updateto my knowledge.

Also, Harman Becker is changing the new software update version number... the new release version will be 9.665 or later.. So the "Unofficial Software Update" that I have been calling it is probably not so unofficial after all and is just an earlyrelease of the Version 9.561 software update. So while its not so dangerous to install it, you will likely want the latest version installed in your radio so why do it twice when the release date for the newest version is so close? But you can always reinstall later so whatever your preferences are is up to you.. either way should be safe.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:33 PM
Voodoo Avenger

Futil,
can you please remind me...what steps do I need to take to determine the software version in my RER?
thanks!

Old 01-29-2008, 12:55 PM
futil
Veteran

Sure..

Press the Menu button on the right side of the radio.
Press the System Setup on screen button.
Press the System Information on screen button.

Your Software Version is under Application
X.XXX or in my case 9.561

Old 01-29-2008, 07:52 PM
2008SRT8

I just purchased a MyGIG system for my Charger and it already has 9.561 on it. One question I have is where do you get map updates at??

Old 01-29-2008, 07:58 PM
futil
Veteran

As far as I am aware the map updates are included with the software update which is why the update is so large..

Old 01-30-2008, 07:45 AM
Silkk19

When you are eventually ready for map updates I believe the site is navteq.com. But as of right now the 9.561 has the most recent updates. I think they are released once a year.

Old 02-01-2008, 08:30 PM
fdavila

Futil

I need help. I downloaded the REN file, burnt the disk and started update process. At the middle it started showing "Serious error" message and now it keeps trying to update again and agian without any response.

What can I do? Is there something to force eject?

Thank you

Old 02-01-2008, 08:36 PM
fdavila

Futil

I need help. I downloaded the REN file, burnt the disk and started update process. At the middle it started showing "Serious error" message and now it keeps trying to update again and agian without any response.

What can I do? Is there something to force eject?

Thank you

Quick Reply: MyGIG Software Update