2008 - Current Dodge Avenger The new Dodge Avenger gives a sporty look to the often drab mid-sized sedan class, with the possible future option of AWD and a performance engine upgrade.

MyGIG Software Update

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 09:23 AM
futil
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: MyGIG Software Update

I answered the above issue in a PM..

Basically the answer was to try to get the CD to work to boot again and reinstall..if not then remove the CD and return it to the dealer for replacement.. Harman Becker can get the unit working again because they have hardware and software at their disposal that is unavailable to us so all we can do is try to get the CD to boot again or return the radio for replacement.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:34 AM
sdavis531
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The other day after work, I jumped in, started the car, and got nothing from the myGig!
I don't know if it was my imagination, but for that short trip, the tranny shifted like hell also.
I made a quick stop, got back in, started her up and everything was ok.
Is it possible that the myGig prob and the tranny are connected somehow? I have'nt had any problems in the last week or so. But I am excited for the "official" update!

Old 02-05-2008, 01:42 PM
grandvoyager

Hi,

I have a brand new European version of Chrysler Grand Voyager 3.8 LTD, with MyGiG, Nav, rev.camera, etc. European versions do not have Sirius nor DVB-T. So I am now wandering does this 9.561 or 9.665 work with my European version.

( I assume that Database is really about maps, mine says WS5 - E 106 0639A and Gracenotes 518.)

Local dealers/importer are totally lost, with no idea at all. Any ideas or any way to backup the existing sw application?

thnx, TSY-991

Old 02-06-2008, 12:02 AM
futil
Veteran

sdavis531, that sounds like a different issue.. its possible that you were having an issue that effected data on the CAN-bus which may have caused problems in both or it could have been just coincidental that they were both happening simultaneously... it might also be possible that the MyGIG lockup may have sent corrupted data across the CAN-bus as well.Was the battery disconnected previously to these issues? I know the Avenger freaks out for a while (Like 20 minutes) when the car loses DC power. I'm sorry that my help is so vague its just that Harman Becker doesn't really like to give out any trade info so its difficult for me to diagnose issues with the limited information that they provide to me..

The new version that is coming out is supposed to resolve the MyGIG volume/lockups but that isnot just in the software.. I believe a firmware upgrade is needed as well to completely resolve it.. Im still waiting here like an idiot for the CDs to arrive.. They keep telling me that the release date keeps being pushed back.. its making me crazy.. I would be willing to deal with the lockup issues if my phone would at least work with the uConnect system so i hope there are some major changes in this new release..

I would like tonote that the frequency of the MyGIG freezes/missing volume controlshas decreased significantly since I put in the update.. It used to happen around 4 times per week and now it has only happened once since I upgraded it.

GrandVoyager, I don't think I would recommend installing that update because while it probably will install ok, I think your maps might end up being US based with limited map information for European streets. In all reality I simply don't know for a fact but I would imagine that there would be separate map data for the different regions. There is also the possibility that the posted upgrade may refuse to install on your MyGIG if there are hardware differences between US and European MyGIGs.

Also as I stated before in another post, I am expecting a replacement for my radio and I will try experimenting on my current radio after the new one arrives, Mainly I will be focusing on duplicating the drive, creating drive images, and hard drive upgrades with the hopes of being able to provide you all with tested information and instructions on how to put a larger drive in.. So if you have a larger drive installed then you can test the different versions on your new drive or even your original hard drive.

Old 02-06-2008, 07:54 AM
grandvoyager

Hmm..

I downloaded the disk image and checked the contents. There seems to be both US and ECE versions on the CD, including prompts for different languages. At least it looks like that stuff for Europe is on the disk as well.
I could not identify anything that would suggest Navteq map data is included. I've also now mailed HarmanBecker asking to confirm this. Waiting for response.

Old 02-09-2008, 11:29 AM
Kaiju54

So do verizon phones work yet or is that still waiting to be addressed?

Old 02-10-2008, 09:46 PM
imarkup

I just purchase a car w/ the MyGig naviation. The first weekend I encountered a big problem. The GPS is mostly disabled (input) whilethe car is moving for "safety" reasons. This means no finding gas stations, rest stops, food, hotels, when the car is moving. You must pull over and stop first.

I explained to my wife that for "safety reasons", when she and my daughter are driving in LA, they must pull over and stop in an unknown area to then use the GPS to find a gas station. She was not impressed with that "added safety feature".

I called the dealer and they have 1 day to come up with a workaround or they will be buying the car back.

Does anyone know how to disable this stupid "feature"? I am also a little surprised that more people are not screaming at this. I guess we have owned GPSs for many years and know how useful they are when used to their full potential.

Old 02-11-2008, 07:54 AM
futil
Veteran

Kaiju54, Were still waiting for the Verizon LG Voyager phone issues to be resolved.. Sorry about all of that before.. I feel really bad that I reported as fixed without waiting at least a week but I know some of you (including myself) are reallyanxious in getting a fix and I wanted to report my findings asap..

imarkup, The dealer should be able to enablethe GPS in drivefeature for you using Starscan. Actually this is the firsttimeI have heard that it was being disabled in drive. Typically, entering in data such as your destination is restricted in drive but not the entire GPS.

Actually I just re-read what you posted.. If you were referring to not being able to enter in new data but the GPS is still working and displaying your destination that you entered in while stopped, then there is no fix for that at the dealer's end. That is the way the system unfortunately works.

If you decide to keep the car, A user in the forums (Dodge R/T) came across this link http://www.coastaletech.com/mygig.htm Its called MyGIG Lockpick which will unlock all of the features of the radio. I wrote them and asked if their product will be compatable with the new software release and they stated that they couldnt know until the software was released.. (I should have seen that coming lol)

Having features in a car buthaving them heavily restricted may be a (Not so) new trend that we should expect more and more within the coming years.Personally I think thatall car/radio manufacturersshould give drivers a little more credit for beingable to operate features while driving. It's only a matter of time before you will soon be considered untrustworthy to actually drive your car and you will end up buying your own personal taxicab complete with voice activated destination and no steering wheel.But then again that should allow car manufacturers to enable the DVD in drive again.. So its a trade off

You are too dumb to drive your car! How does that statement make you feel?

Well that's how it makes me feel when they restrict features based off of assumptions that we cant handle doing 2 things at one time. By now people should be used to multitasking asmost of usdo it at home, work AND when driving not to mention there is frequently a passenger bored out of their minds sitting there too...

Old 02-11-2008, 12:13 PM
imarkup

The clueless lawyers who diabled the functionality in the GPS while in motion failed to recognize that the vast majority of time when people actually use the GPS is when they are driving with other people (road trips, vacations, soccer tournaments, going to dinner, etc). And those peoplein the passenger seat are trying to scroll through pages in the GPS).I really doubt that when people are alon driving to/from work they use the GPS.

I am really frustrated with these arbitrary limitations to keep the lawyers happy. Why not disable the radio? The air conditioner? The seats? The windows? They wont do that because they would not be able to sell cars. So as consumers, we need to send a message to the manufacturer and tell them to enable these features, or reimburse us $ for the missing functionality.

I think many people are new to using GPSs so they are not aware of how absolutely convienient they are when all features are enabled. If more people used aftermarket GPS units, there would probably be more of an uproar about the crippled GPS in MyGig. Since I have used them, I find the limitations completely unacceptable.

I have alreay told my dealer that they have until the end of the day today before I will turn my car back in for a refund.

Old 02-11-2008, 07:08 PM
Kaiju54

I have to agree with imarkup. I can't for the life of me understand why they dont give you the option to turn on whatever you want. Couldn't they set it up how it is as a default and if we change the default settings they aren't responsible?

BTW futil, I don't own a Voyager I own the LG VX8350 and that also doesn't work. Annoys the hell out of me and frustrated me for days until I finally gave up.

Quick Reply: MyGIG Software Update