2008 - Current Dodge Avenger The new Dodge Avenger gives a sporty look to the often drab mid-sized sedan class, with the possible future option of AWD and a performance engine upgrade.

Afrter market u-connect

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 01:44 PM
thekid0519
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Afrter market u-connect

Hey everyone me and my wife just bought an '08 avenger and love everything about it had a few issues with check engine light and remote start but good now. Well on the same day we bought the car my brother-in-law and soon to be sis-in-law bought a charger and we noticed they had one option we didn't the u-connect and it seems really nice well needless to say my wife and i like it and i called bout getting it and the dealer wants like $500 dollars so call me cheap but my question is does anyone know if there is an aftermarket way of getting it or will there be ? thanks chris

Old 01-23-2008, 10:16 PM
needforsleep
Rookie
Default RE: Afrter market u-connect

There are a few options.

1) Get the OEM equipment, which means either getting a different radio with the button plus the bluetooth module ($$$)
(Dealer only part number to be ordered online via dealer parts department or directly from your dealer)

2) Get the Mopar U-connect Add-on ($235 item number 82210082)
http://www.mopar.com/

3) Get the Parrot Evolution kit ($90-$150)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=290200637066
+
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=120203193292

If you have an REN or RER MyGig radio then option 1 will give you the best integration and would be money well spent because everthing is enabled via the radio touch screen. This would mean you don't have to get a new radio. It's probably going to be expensive and the dealer may not be willing to go this route.

The only thing I'm not sure about is if the dealer has quoted you for the Mopar U-connect (option 2) or if they quoted adding on the remote U-connect box (Option 1). You will want to call them back and ask them if they are quoting you for the Mopar add-on unit or to buy the OEM bluetooth ecu and reprogramming the radio to interface with it.

If you have a standard single disk radio or 6 disc radio without a "U-Connect" button on the radio then options 2 will give you the option of having the ability to voice dial a number. You will have to have a remote control pad mounted next to your radio. The nice thing about this setup is that you can take it with you if you sell your car and if you buy a newer Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge then you can most likely use it in your new car.

If you want to spend the least amount of money and just be able to pick up and voice dial pre-programmed names then option 3 will get you what you need. The only drawback is that you won't be able to voice dial a number (for instance say "Dial 1-800-555-5555", instead you'll have to preprogram the unit with numbers). This options also requires a remote control pad to be mounted somewhere near the radio.

Notice that each option gives you more features as you pay more, so you truely get what you pay for. Options 2 will require a remote speaker to be mounted inside the car and also possibly option 3 (if you don't buy the harness adaptor).

I've personally installed options 2 and 3 in different vehicles and I can honestly say that the Mopar U-connect setup is far better than the Parrot aftermarket setup, but you do pay a higher price.

Old 01-23-2008, 10:28 PM
futil
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say that your best bet is obviously buying from the dealer.. Currently there are no aftermarket addons for it well unless you want to check out BlueGIG from http://www.navtv.com/.

Im not saying it cant be done as it definitely can be wired up to work provided you have a radio with the ability and a uConnect button.. You would have to add a mic obviously and god knows what else (I haven't done all of my research on this one) but I can get you the pin outs if you want to try making your own adapter.. If you are determined to do it I will do more research and try to figure out the correct way to make it work.

But instead of going that route you can just purchase an aftermarket hands free system such as a Parrot system ( http://www.parrot.com/usa/products/hands-freecarkits) ora Motorola system ( http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1175389264447) which would be cheaper, easier, and some come with free installation.. Some systems have better features than mygig as well.
Most importantly.. The above systems have a better compatibility rating than the uConnect system at this time so you will be more likely to be able to use your new hands free system with your phone.

The above systems can wire into your radio and will mute your music and pipe the sound through your speakers.. or for a more simple install you can just install an external speaker.

Old 01-23-2008, 10:33 PM
needforsleep
Rookie

I just noticed Parrot has a newer version of the non-display type kits, the MK6000. It's a bit more expensive at $155 after shipping, and I don't know if the dodge adaptor harness listed above works with this unit since I've never installed one of these.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=220190304323

I also forgot to mention that Parrot has another unit that is bigger and bulkier but it has a nice LCD display, it's the 3200 LS.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=140200917535

Here is Parrot's installtion instructions for our cars:

http://www.parrot.com/documents/en/s...rysler_ad2.pdf

Old 01-23-2008, 10:40 PM
needforsleep
Rookie

Oh ya, and there's the sometimes cheaper option in which you buy an FM modulated kit that plugs into your car's power adaptor plug.
Then when your phone rings you hit a stored FM station on your radio and the unit picks up and transmits audio to your radio.

The drawbacks are poor microphone pickup of your voice due to the low location of the power adaptor location, and if you travel then your FM station that was once clear may become "occupied" with a radio station that makes the sound static filled.

The good things about this type of unit is that you can take it with you and it's cheap.

Old 01-24-2008, 02:35 PM
onephatcracka
Rookie

i would say dealer. Just because of the issues i have seen with aftermarket items being installed in some of these vehicles and makeing alot of issues happen. It might be more of a headache then a wallet saver.

Old 01-24-2008, 08:05 PM
thekid0519

Thanks for the replies seem helpful but needforsleep which route do you thing i should go if we have a u-connect radio but when button pushed is says not equipped do i just have to buy a module??

Old 01-25-2008, 02:04 PM
birneyw

Im in the same boat, I would love the uconnect kit. I have the 6 disk changer and it does have the Uconnect buttons (x2) on it. when I press it, it just says UConnect not Available. So I would just need the modual from the dealer? Is this the one that can connect to an ipod also? just curios and my bday is comming up so should have some money to spend.

Old 01-26-2008, 10:28 AM
needforsleep
Rookie

If you have the button on the radio, call the dealer and ask them if they can install the U-connect hardware that would interface with the radio without having to buy the Mopar U-connect. This would be the best integration but it may be the most expensive route.

The reason this would be worth it is that it would then use the speakers already in the car. The Mopar system uses a remote speaker after it has automatically muted the factory radio. The mopar U-connect is pretty good for the price if you don't mind having the remote speaker. The remote speaker can be hard to hear at highway speeds.

The Parrot systems don't have the ability to direct dial a number by voice recognition. For instance, if you want to dial "1800555555" the U-connect systems can do this but the Parrot systems cannot. If this isn't important to you then you can use the Parrot systems because they are lower cost plus the Parrot systems use your existing factory speakers. Both, the Parrot systems and the U-connect systems support storing addresses in the units and allowing you to dial by name.

Old 01-26-2008, 10:36 AM
needforsleep
Rookie

ORIGINAL: birneyw

Im in the same boat, I would love the uconnect kit. I have the 6 disk changer and it does have the Uconnect buttons (x2) on it. when I press it, it just says UConnect not Available. So I would just need the modual from the dealer? Is this the one that can connect to an ipod also? just curios and my bday is comming up so should have some money to spend.
If you want to use the iPod connector then you need the Mopar U-connect system. This would require a separate Mounting control pad and remote speaker, I think. I've not seen the new versions of the Mopar U-connect system but I'm assuming they are the same as the previsous generation just with the ability to support the different CAN-I (125k) versus CAN-B (83.3K).

Quick Reply: Afrter market u-connect