2008 - Current Dodge Avenger The new Dodge Avenger gives a sporty look to the often drab mid-sized sedan class, with the possible future option of AWD and a performance engine upgrade.

MYGIG LOCKPICK

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 01:45 AM
milous
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: MYGIG LOCKPICK

ORIGINAL: nightshade72
If it works as advertised I will likely pull the trigger on the lockpick too.. That and a jet chip if the diablo tuner doesn't appear...
If you decide to buy one use the info at this link, there is a specialorder code to get an additional $30 off: http://www.wkjeeps.com/MyGIG_Lockpick.htm

Old 02-28-2008, 11:14 AM
futil
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ACK! Now you tell me lol

Old 02-28-2008, 09:39 PM
jvandover
Amateur

I'd love to see a full picture step through. Also, what exactly is starscan and how might this disrupt it?

Old 02-28-2008, 10:12 PM
futil
Veteran

Ok, I guess I'll be taking pics of the whole install then

Starscan is the device the dealers use to change settings in the car's computer.. pretty much if there is a setting that can be changed, the Starscan can change it. By having something in-line with the radio that interferes with the CAN-BUS signals it may cause problems when the car software is getting re-flashed or when a setting is changed.. Could cause failed installs, incorrect data readings, etc..

http://www.dcctools.com/en/starscan/index.html

Since the MyGIG LockPick is pretty much a CAN-BUS signal manipulator/blocker it can cause quite a few problems (Potentially)

I was contemplating on purchasinga Starscanbut I don't think it will do much good since the price is not worth the types of settings that can be changed.. Well maybe if you can change the vehicle's top speed it would be worth it. I forgot the exact pricing of the unit as I found a place that was selling them but I forget where that was as I lost interest in purchasing it.. Think it was around the $5000 range but that is just a guess because I really can't remember what it was selling for. If I find the site again ill repost the correct selling price and the site where it was available. (The Starscan is not officially available to the public however there are a few people that just want to make $ and use their dealer credentials to purchase the unit and resell it)

Old 02-28-2008, 10:36 PM
nightshade72

I have access to a friend with a starscan mobile.. so if I do pull the trigger on this, I can do some testing..

ORIGINAL: futil

Starscan is the device the dealers use to change settings in the car's computer.. pretty much if there is a setting that can be changed, the Starscan can change it. By having something in-line with the radio that interferes with the CAN-BUS signals it may cause problems when the car software is getting re-flashed or when a setting is changed.. Could cause failed installs, incorrect data readings, etc..

http://www.dcctools.com/en/starscan/index.html

Since the MyGIG LockPick is pretty much a CAN-BUS signal manipulator/blocker it can cause quite a few problems (Potentially)

I was contemplating on purchasinga Starscanbut I don't think it will do much good since the price is not worth the types of settings that can be changed.. Well maybe if you can change the vehicle's top speed it would be worth it. I forgot the exact pricing of the unit as I found a place that was selling them but I forget where that was as I lost interest in purchasing it.. Think it was around the $5000 range but that is just a guess because I really can't remember what it was selling for. If I find the site again ill repost the correct selling price and the site where it was available. (The Starscan is not officially available to the public however there are a few people that just want to make $ and use their dealer credentials to purchase the unit and resell it)

Old 02-28-2008, 11:08 PM
futil
Veteran

That would be cool to know.. thanks.. I dont know if you would want to do a software reflash but thats one of the biggest concerns I have is the LockPick corrupting a software flash.. but just knowing if the LockPick interferes in any capacity would be good enough to know.

Old 02-29-2008, 01:59 AM
jvandover
Amateur

Ok, thanks for the info. If the Lockpick just plugs in simply and doesn't have to be wired, can't you just unplug it before taking it to the dealer?

Old 02-29-2008, 09:06 AM
nightshade72

Yup, but pulling the radio each time you take it to the stealership will start to become tiresome.

I was hoping that in it's 'off' state, it doesn't interfere with the canbus.. I see that they make ya click the power button twice to enable it.. so maybe it sits there passively when off and only starts talking on the canbus once enabled manaually...

ORIGINAL: jvandover

Ok, thanks for the info. If the Lockpick just plugs in simply and doesn't have to be wired, can't you just unplug it before taking it to the dealer?

Old 02-29-2008, 09:06 PM
futil
Veteran

Ok, The MyGIG LockPick arrived along with the media cable and the backup camera.

I just finished installing everything and everything works as advertised. I tested the video while in drive, the backup camera in drive and the rear VESentertainment mode enable feature.. Everything works..

EDIT:The keyboard for the map screenwhile driving works as well. Just press the power button twice and the keyboard shows up.

I took pics of the install but I was freezing my ***** off during the install since its like 10 degrees at the time of when I installed it so I kind of skimped on the pictures. I will post the pics that I did take soon..

I used one of the bolts that are used to fasten the license plate light to hold up the camera since I didn't want to drill any new holes. So the camera is situated right above the license plate and slightly to the right.

I snaked the Camera wire through the license plate light area since there is plenty of room between the light and the bumper. I then snaked the wire through one of the beams in the rear bumper to the right, and then up inside the car through a rubber grommet on the right side of the car above the right tire.
After that I wired it as a regular amplifier install by following the floor channels and running it under the carpet. There are 2 physical wires for the camera, 1 is a video out and the other is power.. The power wires are considerably shorter than the video cable so I ran them diagonally under the passenger seat to gain some length which worked out perfect as they just reached the power output wires that are built into the LockPick.

I was a little concerned about the performance of the camera in low light but the camera performs as if it was a infrared camera at night.. no issues in that area.. actually when cars are close it kind of floods the camera with light from their headlights. But you can see everything behind you perfectly on pitch black streets. The camera is also slightly fish eyed so you can see around your vehicle a little and not just in the very back of it.

I was wrong about the camera inputs.. There are only 1 camera input, 1 Video/Audio output, and 1 Video/Audio Input. Although I could get a splitter with a switch to add more cameras and switch between them.

Dip Switch for RER (Nav Enabled Radios) settings are as follows:
1: Down
2: Down
3: Up
4: Up
5: UP

Dip Switch for REN (NON Nav Enabled Radios) settings are as follows:
1: Down
2: UP
3: Up
4: Up
5: UP

Aside of setting the Dip switches, you just plug everything in..

The install went smooth and would have been extremely quick if it wasn't for having to run the camera wires. Can be done in under 10 minutes without the camera.. About 40 min with the camera.

Thecamera that is provided on the LockPick site doesn't need the Green wire connected to anything if you install it in the backof the car. The redgoes to the red of the LockPick's extrapower out and the black goes to the Black of the LockPick's Extra Ground wire. Otherwise you just plug the video of the camera into the cable marked Camera on the LockPick media cable (If you purchased it)

The system works simply andreliablywith no issues.. Very simple install. Its just a little annoying to have to switch to FM when you want to view in back of you while in motion, but the camera automatically comes on without any input when you put the car in reverse.

Most importantly the Navigation screen still works while viewing movies in drive or while using the backup cam which is a significant leg up over the Freegig system. Plus you don't need to use any switches to change between modes (Like the FreeGIG).. just press the on/off button twice.

All in all I would totally recommend it..

Old 02-29-2008, 09:14 PM
nightshade72

So what's your opinion?

Worth the coin?

Pretty warm there today eh? 10*F is pretty nice out.. It was about -22*F here yesterday.. (about -30*C).. I pulled my tail lights off in that cold.. that was not pleasant.. those plastic nuts are on there REAL tight.. and that friggin' ball socket on the outside corner of the tail light is a pain when it's cold. I'll post pics of my tint job at some point when I get the car cleaned up..

Quick Reply: MYGIG LOCKPICK