2008 - Current Dodge Avenger The new Dodge Avenger gives a sporty look to the often drab mid-sized sedan class, with the possible future option of AWD and a performance engine upgrade.

MYGIG LOCKPICK

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 09:26 PM
futil
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: MYGIG LOCKPICK

Well I guess it all depends on if you're willing to spend $ on unlocking those features... Personally I was pissed off that they were disabled and thatI didn't have a backupcamera so I was obsessed with defeating the blocks.. the camera is just a plus..

Personally I think it was worth it.. I was using my computer in the car to watch movies so not having to boot that thing every time I want to watch a movie makes it worth while to me and the feeling that I defeated something that restricted me in the past makes me all warm and fuzzy inside

Just that its cheaper and has more features than the FreeGIG also makes me feel like I got a better value for my $.

But I guess it would be like buying a DVD player for your car that you can actually use.. So if you look at it like that then I would say it was worth it.

The weather sucked so bad.. I snapped the plastic passenger kick panel in 2 while I was doing the install.. so pissed.. but I guess I should have had the car running while I was doing the install..

Old 03-03-2008, 07:38 PM
klibby
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Futil,

Great info, and thanks for taking the test run for the rest of us. Can you keep us updated if you get the keyboard problem fixed? I currently have a MyGig RER without uConnect (when I had mine installed, I guess they were reworking the wiring harness from the radio to the mirror so they said I had to wait for that). The two items I was most interested in on the Lockpick were to enable the keyboard while in motion so a passenger could type in an address while in motion and it also states that it enables uConnect if it's not already enabled as long as you get a mic. So, I hope you are right and it was just a matter of getting the dip switches right :-)

Old 03-04-2008, 01:20 AM
futil
Veteran

Actually It wasnt really a dip switch issue, I just was so into playing with the backup camera andwatching DVD indrive that I only tested the keyboard in drive for like 2 seconds so I didnt spend a lot of time trying to get it to work and it probably works fine but I think I just didntdouble clicktheon/off button at the correct time.

I was REALLY sick yesterday and today with a really high fever so I didnt get a chance to check it out again but since thats what is holding you back from purchasing I'll check it out for you after I finish writing this post.

I did get some time to play with the rest of the features and so far I am really impressed with the unit.. very simple and most importantly.. it works! lol

By the way.. I also recommend the backup camera on the MyGIG LockPick site.. as I mentioned before it preforms excellent at night and works as if it had infrared but also they fisheyed the lens so that you can see all around the back of your car.. So much in fact that you can even see in the blind spots on the side of the car which i find amazing.. I went to the store shortly after installingthe system anda guy walked behind my car.. I noticed him in the camera long before I even could see him in my rear window which I thought was pretty cool..

Old 03-04-2008, 01:49 AM
futil
Veteran

Ok, I just hopped in my car and tested it out for you...

The map keyboard enabled while in drive and driving over 15mphDOES work.

As with all the other controls with the MyGIG LockPick, you just double click the on/off button when in the map's enter destination or any other area within the map that uses the keyboard and the keyboardappears and stays up (Doesnt disappear again when you slow down or stop then accelerate again)

So basically everything on this device does work as advertized.

Sorry I can't offer you any info on whether or not adding a mic will workas I already hada micinstalled in my car and didn't need to install that feature but im sure that will work too as this company doesnt seem to claimfeatures that their box can't do and they have been very straight forward with me whenever I contacted them.

The installation for the mic seems REALLY simple.. Just plug it into the middle plug on the radio.. So I don't think you will have any issues in that area especially if you purchase the micfrom them since it comes with the plug pre-installed. Basicallythe installation isso simple that I would be in shock if it didnt work. Plus $20 isn't that bad for a mic with the plug installed that you will need to buy anyway especially since the mic seems to be a high quality mic.

if you didnt check it out alreadyyou can see the mic installation here http://www.coastaletech.com/MYGIG_MICROPHONE.htm

They have this disclaimer on their site: Note: The microphone is available for use with the navigation MYGIG radio only. Non-nav MYGIG radios do not have the voice recognition and UCONNECT built in.

Since you have a nav enabled unit the mic should work on your radio.. but worst case scenerio you can just return the $20 mic if it doesnt work.

Old 03-04-2008, 04:34 AM
futil
Veteran

Also, so that you know, The MyGIG LockPick was tested on all 3 software versions 9.556, 9.561, and 9.707 and it works without issue on all software versions so you dont have to worry about buying it then not having it work when you upgrade your software.

This was confirmed from the factory and from my own testing.

Old 03-04-2008, 12:25 PM
klibby

Sounds like I'm definately in then! When I looked at their website before, I didnt see the microphone they sold there so I wasn't too sure what I would need to get, but I think that settles it. So now I just need to scope out a place to install it. Thanks for all your advice, now go get some sleep!

Old 03-17-2008, 02:33 PM
TedEbear
Rookie

ORIGINAL: futil
I used one of the bolts that are used to fasten the license plate light to hold up the camera since I didn't want to drill any new holes. So the camera is situated right above the license plate and slightly to the right.
My Lockpick with backup camera and multimedia cable will arrive tomorrow, March 18. I was looking at where to mount the camera. Since there are two mounting holes in the camera bracketI'm wondering if just using one hole to attach it to the license plate light is going to be solid enough, considering all the vibration back there. Those little wings on the camera bracket don't look all that robust. I'd hate for the mount to come loose or break at the hole. Have you given much thought to long-term durability of this mounting method?

I've studied the area between the two license plate lights and it wouldn't bother me to drill two small holes, centered between the lights, and mount it there. Unless someone got down on their hands and knees the holes wouldn't be visible. Besides, the camera would be mounted there permanently and it would look like a factory install. I like symmetry and having the camera mounted in the middle gives it that centered look.

Old 03-17-2008, 03:36 PM
futil
Veteran

You can drill holes if you like if you don't mind drilling them but the tabs on the camera are made of pretty tough metal and the camera is on there solid.. I actually had a hardtime bending the tabsto adjust the camera.. Thereare no vibrations and you don't notice the camera being off centered at all even though were talking about an inch off center which in my case wasn't worth drilling holes in the car..

Also keep in mind I was freezing my *** off when I did the install so I didn't give too much thought about where I was going to mount it.. I just found the fastest way to mount it and threw it on.. But using the single tab/screw has been fine in the aspect of durability and stability.. It hasn't came loose since I installed it at all.. if you secure it to the soft plastic on the bumper you may introduce vibrations while trying to make it symmetrical so I would stick to hard plastic or metal drill points..Also.. Mounting it too close to the licence plate light may white out your camera at night as it is really sensitive to light which is also why I put it off center.

If you can find a hard centered spot without mounting it on the license plate light obviously that would look better and would be recommended but I just wanted to let you know that you don't "need" to drill holes if you don'thave too much of a problem withit not being symmetrical.

Old 03-18-2008, 02:35 PM
TedEbear
Rookie

Also.. Mounting it too close to the licence plate light may white out your camera at night as it is really sensitive to light which is also why I put it off center.

Thanks for the quick reply. Wouldn't using one of the license plate light mounting holes to attach the camera make it closer to the light than the idea I had, where it would be centered between the two lights, slightly away from either one? I guess maybe I'll experiment with the view and temporarily mount it with some 3M adhesive squares.

If I end up mounting it to the plastic bumper I plan on using large fender washers to distribute the pressure over a larger area. Maybe even spray paint them black for a more factory look, not that anyone else would notice.

Okay, it's March 18 - where's my Lockpick? [:@]

Old 03-19-2008, 12:15 PM
TedEbear
Rookie

Mounting it too close to the licence plate light may white out your camera at night as it is really sensitive to light which is also why I put it off center.

My Lockpick was waiting for me when I got home yesterday evening. I spread everything out on the table andsorted, studied, read, set the dip switches, etc., to be sure everything was there and that I understood exactly what to do. It doesn't look all that difficult if I take it one step at a time. I'm tempted to open up the Lockpick module and take a pic for anyone who is curious but I probably shouldn't.

One radical idea I had onany license plate light interference and the 0.3 low lux sensitive camera is to add a NC relay to the license plate lights. The relay would betriggered by the power output to the camera. Thus, whenever the camera is turned on, whether automatically when I shift into reverse or manually,the license plate lights would turn off.

Quick Reply: MYGIG LOCKPICK