2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Questions regarding my Chrysler build sheet on my 99 Ram

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 12:11 PM
kadetklapp
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions regarding my Chrysler build sheet on my 99 Ram

I recieved an email response to my request for a build sheet from ChryCo on my 99 Ram 2500. It was fairly informative, but I have a few questions.

Can anyone tell me what options were included in the following groups-
ADJ Heavy Duty Service Group
AHC Trailer Tow Group
AHD Heavy Duty Snow Plow Prep Group
AHJ Camper Special Group

Also, while the list specifies the front axle as a Dana 60 248mm axle, it only says the rear axle:
DMFP 4.10 Rear Axle Ratio
DRDP 200MM Rear Axle
DSA Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle. It doesn't specify corporate or Dana,a nd does the "anti-spin" mean it's a factory posi unit?

It also states it has an auxillary trans cooler. I'm assuming this is located built-into the radiator?

I'm sure I'll find more questions as I go thru this...

Old 09-15-2011, 12:40 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

Heavy duty service group, and some of the others, had a fair bit of overlap. Mostly it was bigger battery, meaner alternator, a trailer harness, (and possibly a provision for a brake controller built into the factory harness) and the hitch receiver. May also have have had heavy duty shocks, and 'helper' springs in the rear. (not sure if that was factory or not, I have the same options, but, no helper spring in the rear.)

You have a dana rear axle, build sheet should tell you....... If not, if you have a gas engine, it's a dana 60. If you have the v-10 or diesel, and auto, I think dana 70, v-10/diesel with manual, dana 80.

Aux trans cooler is between the radiator, and A/C condensor. If you are a contortionist, you might be able to actually see it.

Anti-spin is Limited Slip. Yep. (not a locker. Clutch type diff.)

Old 09-15-2011, 03:32 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Dana 60 is 248MM, so I don't know what you got there.

Old 09-15-2011, 06:23 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

From My build sheet:

DRDS 200MM Rear Axle

Mine is a dana 60. However:

DJFS Dana M60/248MM Front Axle

The front is 248mm....... I have no clue what they are measuring there. Ring gear?

Old 09-15-2011, 08:54 PM
kadetklapp
Veteran

Hmm, so we are pretty sure the rear is a D60 (I have a V8 gas w/ auto) with a posi unit. I'm assuming that the rear diff requires limited slip additive? I'm going to be servicing the front and rear diffs soon and I don't want to screw this up and have to run to town for more stuff.

Old 09-15-2011, 09:46 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Yes, get the diff fluid that already has the additive in it for the rear diff. (or, if you can't find it, just get a bottle of the additive......) If you find anything you don't think you should on the bottom of the pig...... take a close look around. The LSD's in these guys were notorious for tossing some clips......

Yep, you have a D60.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:48 AM
kadetklapp
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Yes, get the diff fluid that already has the additive in it for the rear diff. (or, if you can't find it, just get a bottle of the additive......) If you find anything you don't think you should on the bottom of the pig...... take a close look around. The LSD's in these guys were notorious for tossing some clips......

Yep, you have a D60.
My experience with factory LSDs has been less than positive, in regards to those Auburn units in my Chevrolet Caprice police cars I've had over the years (of which there were many). I found that using non-dealer posi lube or using too little (even just minutely too little) caused the rear-end to go schitzo. My concern is using an oil with "built in" additive will cause similar issues, but if you guys trust them then I will.

How much material should I expect to find in the bottom of the "pig" (I'm assuming you mean the carrier/housing) when I pop it open? I'm trying to think positive here, but the other night I pulled the plug out and ran my floppy-magnet down in there and when I pulled it out, there were some decent sized flakes on it. I cannot even begin to fathom how much R&R'ing the rear end in this beast would cost me. I am certain it would be more than I paid for the truck.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:00 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Entirely possible. if you are finding metal shavings in there, it is most certainly time to have a look, and see if you can't figger out where they are coming from. Pull the cover, clean it out REALLY well, and see what you can see. There really shouldn't be any.... maybe a bit of sludge, but, not metal shavings..... that's bad.

Old 09-16-2011, 11:13 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kadetklapp
My experience with factory LSDs has been less than positive, in regards to those Auburn units in my Chevrolet Caprice police cars I've had over the years (of which there were many). I found that using non-dealer posi lube or using too little (even just minutely too little) caused the rear-end to go schitzo. My concern is using an oil with "built in" additive will cause similar issues, but if you guys trust them then I will.

How much material should I expect to find in the bottom of the "pig" (I'm assuming you mean the carrier/housing) when I pop it open? I'm trying to think positive here, but the other night I pulled the plug out and ran my floppy-magnet down in there and when I pulled it out, there were some decent sized flakes on it. I cannot even begin to fathom how much R&R'ing the rear end in this beast would cost me. I am certain it would be more than I paid for the truck.
Do you happen to hear any clicking type sound when driving?

One day I started hearing it. It got louder and louder. Took it to the dealership b/c I was new the area and had pressing trip to take.

~$1200 later....new clutch plates and clips bla bla bla

Name:  limpus1.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  51.3 KB
Name:  limpus2.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  57.7 KB
Name:  limpus3.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  25.1 KB
Name:  limpus4.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  41.5 KB

Maybe its not that bad for you though. This was about the 90K mark when it happened.

Last edited by Wh1t3NuKle; 10-04-2011 at 11:31 AM.
Old 09-16-2011, 01:36 PM
kadetklapp
Veteran

LOL, no discernible noises, but I am at the 230k mark...

Quick Reply: Questions regarding my Chrysler build sheet on my 99 Ram