1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Reindexed torsion keys

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 06:20 PM
Sauxon
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reindexed torsion keys

So a while ago I replaced all my ball joints, tie rod ends, front shocks, front axles etc. I also bought the 1"-3" reindexed torsion keys off of ebay. Pretty sure they are the Total Performance ones
After installing everything and having set backs with the ball joints, I cranked the keys till they sat approximately the same spot as the stock ones did. Drove it around for a while and the boot on the new axle on the drivers side ripped open. Grease everywhere. I then replaced the axle and had to lower the keys until there was no bind in the axle. I kept lowering it until the tire spun freely since before it would catch about once or twice per rotation.
Now my truck sits pretty much where I started. I got maybe a half inch lift from the keys. I put Add-A-Leafs in the back which raised it 2 inches so now I don't like the way that my truck sits.

Anyone else have this problem with the keys before?
The passenger side was fine and did not bind at all

My truck is a 1993 extended cab 4x4 5.2 auto
I have some pictures that I can upload later if needed. Including before and after height measurements

Old 11-05-2011, 11:05 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

That is typical for indexed keys when you crank it up that much to angle the CV's that much.

When I used the indexed keys I cranked them up until I started seeing the torsion bar bend. The CV's axles were at a high angle but were just fine. The CV axles are strong and can handle higher angles vs u-joints.

Old 11-05-2011, 05:52 PM
Sauxon
Professional

When I cranked it up I did not notice the bars bending at all. And the passenger side was fine while the drivers side seemed to catch once or twice each spin. Is this just because of the geometry of the vehicle maybe?
So am I stuck at the height I have now then?

Old 11-05-2011, 08:53 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I might say you could go more, but I can't see it so I can't tell. Take a good pic.

Old 11-05-2011, 10:01 PM
Rabid21
Veteran

Well this is somewhat depressing I was actually planning on getting those Reindexed keys from Total performance. I know this post is no help to the thread but I'll be watching to see what you decide to do with them.

Old 11-06-2011, 04:14 PM
Joezilla64
Amateur

I had the same exact problem with my truck. when I jacked up the front only the driver side wheel would bind when tried spinning the wheels. It would also shake like crazy when I made a hard left turn. My bump stops were crushed so it was over extending the control arm.
I lowered the front a little and bent the bump stops back into shape and that fixed it.

Old 11-06-2011, 04:30 PM
Rabid21
Veteran

So was this issue just caused because the keys were cranked to much?

Old 11-07-2011, 10:08 AM
Bump
Veteran

Originally Posted by Rabid21
Well this is somewhat depressing I was actually planning on getting those Reindexed keys from Total performance. I know this post is no help to the thread but I'll be watching to see what you decide to do with them.
Im with you man! I just put bigger tires on mine this weekend and was looking to do an add-a-leaf and indexed keys. hummm....

Old 11-07-2011, 03:09 PM
Sauxon
Professional

I will have to jack it up and double check everything. I will take pictures too.
Not sure when I will get around to it though. It decided to snow last night

Old 11-08-2011, 10:45 AM
Joezilla64
Amateur

Originally Posted by Rabid21
So was this issue just caused because the keys were cranked to much?
On my truck the bracket that holds both bump stops rusted so bad it's falling apart. So that was the problem. I only lowered the front end because it would have just bent the bump stop again.

Quick Reply: Reindexed torsion keys