2nd Gen Dakota general discussion This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen Dakota. Non tech related Dakota threads belong here.

Opinions on fixing truck...

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 09:47 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by alleymad99SLT
What size helicoil kit (if you remember)? I am going to buy one and throw it in the glove box, but I need to figure out the correct size...

As for the noise...

I only have rear ABS...

When my front wheels lock up it is normal to have a terrible grinding and rattling noise that makes you think the truck is going to fall apart??

I have put like 100,000 miles on this truck...I have NEVER heard this noise before...I have driven it in the snow / ice for many years and have no doubt that I routinely lock up the front wheels...routinely...and it has never made that noise before...

I think I am going to unbolt the front driveshaft and carry it around in the box...seems like an easy enough way to start eliminating sources of my grinding, right?
The kit I used was a m9x1.25 and there was already a over sized bolt in it. That kit fits the caliper bolts that autozone gave me. Just make sure to take one of your bolts with you to see which kit you will need. As for the noise my truck doesnt do it because it only has 2 wheel abs and its in the rear. My jeep does it tho. Almost sound like your trying to put it in 4wd when the rear wheels are spinning but your front isnt.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:49 PM
alleymad99SLT
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK - so, I have been trying to find a t-case...I thought that I figured out the one I need...then, I started calling places...first the parts people...they were very adamant that I needed a very specific t-case...one that was different from the one they had...this was repeated about ten stinking times...all I could find were t-cases that the people selling claimed were only for automatic tranny trucks...

I thought "yeah, stupid parts guys - what do they know" and sat about trying to figure out my next step...because, to be frank, as doubtful as I was of the information these people were giving me, the thought of dropping $300 plus for a part that I would be unable to return made me pause...

So, I figured I would get to the bottom of this...I decided I must break down and call a tranny shop...I called three...one could get me in this week, if I was willing to leave the truck for two days...the other two wanted me to make an appointment next week...

WTF?? I have a hole in the side of my t-case, and you need me to leave my truck for two days to diagnose it? And you are going to charge me $200? All I want is for you to tell me "sure, we can get a part, and it will cost X dollars..." That's it.

Try a fourth place. They are like "can you bring it in right now?"

I respond "you know, I am at work, but I will LEAVE if you promise you can look at it today."

"Bring it in" they respond...

I do.

I chit-chat with the young guy that will be testing it out. Tell him what it was doing, what I have fixed, what I think is the issue...he says "I'll take it for a spin..."

He comes back and says "Uh, yeah, your t-case is wasted...come and look." He shows me the hole. The owner tells me to come on back and he will get to work finding me a part. He calls about 5 people. He says to the last guy "OK, I will tell him." He hangs up with the guy, looks at me and says "You're f*****...excuse my French. Seriously, there is ONE t-case that fits your truck in the US that I can find, and its in Kentucky (I am in Michigan). Its $1000. Plus shipping. Plus needs rebuilt. You don't want to put that kind of money in that truck."

WTH??? The place that MAKES MONEY BY FIXING MY TRUCK is telling me DON"T FIX YOUR TRUCK???

I leave, scratching my head...he calls me later, says he may have an idea about some kind of retrofit thing, but I need to get him my VIN...I call back and leave my last 5 digits on his voice mail. He will get back with me tomorrow.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:52 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion

I find it hard to believe that they can only find one in the country. I thought any 231 case would work. I have a 231hd on my auto. I cant be sure(case model) but in the summer the one yard I was at had a 97 and a 98 front end damage one a v6 and other a v8 both 5 speeds and 4wd. So finding a transfer case shouldnt be to hard.

Old 03-01-2011, 03:42 PM
bpark8824
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only one in the country? Come on. It may be HARD to find but not "one in the country" hard to find. Do you know what specific model it is?

Old 03-01-2011, 04:58 PM
alleymad99SLT
Professional

Originally Posted by bpark8824
Only one in the country? Come on. It may be HARD to find but not "one in the country" hard to find. Do you know what specific model it is?
You're right - it appears there are 3 of them for sale in the country. Much more common that I was initially led to believe...

Hey - I admit - I am no mechanic. That's why I am questioning everything I am being told. I didn't say it - I simply repeated what I was told.

Search for an NV231 that fits a '99 Dakota 5 speed manual. See how many you can find...if you know of a golden stockpile of these, point the way, please...because I have had four tranny shops looking for a couple of days now, and I am sure they would be happy to have your source...

All but the three I have found indicate they are for an A/T, and the places selling them WILL NOT assure me they will fit my truck...further, two of those three are specifically listed by the seller as broken...

I am not willing to take a $500 plus gamble on a part...one for an A/T MIGHT fit, but it might not...and NO ONE will assure me that it will...if I buy one and it doesn't fit, will you buy it off me for the price including shipping?

I just want the thing fixed. And I don't want to spend more than the truck is worth to accomplish that.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:20 PM
bpark8824
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just seemed hard to believe but obviously you have done a lot more looking than we have. I wonder what is different between an automatic tcase and a manual one...

Old 03-01-2011, 11:12 PM
alleymad99SLT
Professional

Originally Posted by bpark8824
Just seemed hard to believe but obviously you have done a lot more looking than we have. I wonder what is different between an automatic tcase and a manual one...
Honestly, I do not know. I wish I did.

Here is another thing that I just remembered is a bit odd about my truck. I cannot get u-joints for it based on the computer either. I actually have to take the u-joint into the store and have them match it up...I have replaced it twice, and in both cases the u-joint the computer calls for is fully 1/4" smaller and has the wrong style snap ring (if that is what they are called) to fasten it to the driveshaft.

I don't know what the deal is, but it is frustrating.

Anyone have any idea what the production numbers were for the 318 5 speed M/T were by chance? I mean, they were selling 140,000 or so Dakotas every year, so I have to believe at least several thousand of them were V8s with manuals and 4x4...it just seems there should be parts out there...

On a side note, I believe I have a part that fits my truck. It is being shipped in overnight and should arrive tomorrow. I should be able to compare it then and see what the difference is, I guess...

Old 03-06-2011, 10:02 PM
alleymad99SLT
Professional

Truck is 99% fixed...t-case was $900, which seems high but was the best I could do...

I paid $200 for install and oil in order to get the warranty...

I have a t-case with a 50,000 mile warranty...which is pretty good...has the upgraded internals (stronger chain and stuff) as well...

Interesting thing is the pattern is exactly opposite of the one I had previously...

Before, 4 high was all the way "up", then 2 was directly below, then over and down to 4 low...

Now, 4 high is all the way down, 2 is one notch up, 4 low is over and all the way up...

So, the rem aining 1% is the proper button for the top of the selector...its in the mail, just waiting for it to get here...

Truck is rolling down the road like a limousine now...so smooth and quiet...no vibrations, no clunking, no grinding...

New tires tomorrow after work...then I am giving that new t-case round two of its testing regimen...

Last edited by alleymad99SLT; 03-06-2011 at 10:05 PM.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:30 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion

Thats how my buddys ram is. Mine is 2 all the way forward, 4hi then 4lo all the way down.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:44 PM
alleymad99SLT
Professional

New tires are installed. Went with BFG All Terrain T/A. 31 x 10.5 x 15.

Truck drives better than it did when i bought it 100,000 miles ago. Honestly.

Still looking for information about bushings up front. As far as I can tell, I have

Front control arm bushings, upper and lower
Sway bar bushings
Sway bar end links
Steering rack bushings

I think I may go ahead and change these all out. Anyone have any insight as to the parts I should get? Brand / material? How about sizes? It looks like there are at least a couple different sized sway bar bushings...

Is this something I can pick up at Autozone and be satisfied with?

Here is what I think works. Let me know:

Control arm bushings: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PTP-4-213-BL/

Any issues with the prothane bushings? I know on my car they can cause issues in the rear upper control arms...not sure about the truck though...

I want two of these sway bar end links, I believe: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/AXT-AXK7274/

Sway bar bushings: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ENS-5-5165G/

I don't know if I need two of the sway bar bushing kits or not...any insight?

Finally, rack and pinion bushings: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ENS-5-10104G/

Any input is greatly appreciated...

Last edited by alleymad99SLT; 03-07-2011 at 11:47 PM.

Quick Reply: Opinions on fixing truck...