2nd Gen Dakota general discussion This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen Dakota. Non tech related Dakota threads belong here.

Tire noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 12:24 PM
watcher67
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire noise

I have a 2003 Dakota Quad cab, that has started making a roaring noise that sounds like front tires. Just replaced the tires after 50,000 miles, with NO noticeable unusable wear pattern. The noise goes away when steer slightly to the right, and worsens when I steer to the left. Friend thinks it could be wheel bearings. Truck has 140,000 miles. Any ideas?

Old 11-16-2013, 09:29 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I had about 140K on my truck when my front wheel bearings wore out. You need to get the front end up on jack stands, then grab the tire at the 3:00 and 9:00 positions and push and pull to try to move the wheel/tire in and out. Any movement or play at all indicates a bad wheel bearing. You can also spin the wheel and listen for bad bearing noises. The turn to the left making the noise get worse would indicate the right front wheel bearing is bad. If they are bad it is a good idea to replace both at the same time. My own opinion is if one is bad the other can't be far behind.

Jimmy

Old 11-26-2013, 10:24 PM
dieselxj
Amateur

I have the exact same problem on my '98 2wd with 130k miles. rt turn it gets quiet left is the same not really worse. I do also see that the front upper and lower ball joints are showing metal and the rubber boots have lifted . I picked up a set of ball joints today and the wheel bearing will arrive to the parts house tomorrow.
This is a one bearing per wheel non greasable bearing ???? How difficult is the bearing replacement??? I am on the road with limited tools not at my shop. Do you need a press for the Bearing R & R????

Old 11-30-2013, 11:37 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

You don't need a press for the bearing. It's a hub assembly. Very easy on a 2wd, remove the caliper and rotor, remove the nut on the hub and off it comes.

Old 12-16-2013, 06:36 AM
yahir

The turn to the left making the clamor deteriorate might show the right front wheel bearing is awful. Provided that they are awful it is a great thought to swap both in the meantime.

Quick Reply: Tire noise