2nd Gen Dakota general discussion This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen Dakota. Non tech related Dakota threads belong here.

15 years with my Dakota as of today

Old 01-31-2018, 06:59 PM
Skreelink
Veteran

Originally Posted by bakaryu18 View Post
Hey where is the crank position sensor located on your truck?
Being a 2000, it would be behind the passenger front wheel. It's attached right under the exhaust manifold to the back of the block, the transmission bellhousing is notched with a rubber grommet for it. Easiest to jack up the front passenger, remove the wheel, pull the snaps for the plastic fender well on the back portion to pull it down out of the way. If you plan to replace it, make sure to get a Mopar sensor, 3rd party from Autozone, Advance, etc are flaky in these trucks and will often cause a misfire code on 1, 3, and 5, without an actual misfire. The sensor just doesn't read the flexplate fast enough, mostly a problem on the 3.9L V6, might not be as bad on the 5.2L/5.9L V8.

Old 01-31-2018, 08:55 PM
HeyYou
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Skreelink View Post
Being a 2000, it would be behind the passenger front wheel. It's attached right under the exhaust manifold to the back of the block, the transmission bellhousing is notched with a rubber grommet for it. Easiest to jack up the front passenger, remove the wheel, pull the snaps for the plastic fender well on the back portion to pull it down out of the way. If you plan to replace it, make sure to get a Mopar sensor, 3rd party from Autozone, Advance, etc are flaky in these trucks and will often cause a misfire code on 1, 3, and 5, without an actual misfire. The sensor just doesn't read the flexplate fast enough, mostly a problem on the 3.9L V6, might not be as bad on the 5.2L/5.9L V8.
Yeah, it's just as bad on the v-8's. I always recommend Mopar sensors in critical locations, and the crank sensor is right at the top of the list.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 15 years with my Dakota as of today

Featured Sponsors

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: