2nd Gen Dakota general discussion This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen Dakota. Non tech related Dakota threads belong here.

Anyone move up to a Ram and hate it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 02:29 PM
Dakmm
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone move up to a Ram and hate it?

Have had my '04 Dak for about 5.5yrs now, only has 115K on it, no big issues and not tired of it or anything, still think these are some of the best looking trucks ever made, but the family has grown since I bought it and the kids are getting bigger and the back seat seems to be getting smaller.

Was considering stepping up to a Ram, but not a huge fan of full size pickups, they just seem like a pain, both to get stuff in and out of the bed and also parking/driving in an urban/suburban area like I live in. Don't really want to drive around in a huge tank all over everywhere I go. I'm actually surprised by how many I see these days.....none of which are used for any kind of work.

Don't want to get it for a bit more room/comfort in the back seat and then find that it's a pain to park or drive around in and have a chore every time I want to lift something in/out of the bed.

Wondering if anyone else here ever went up to a Ram, hated it and moved back to a Dak. Or any other midsize/full size combo regardless of make.....but this is a Dak forum so.....

Thanks for any insight or any efforts to talk me out of making a mistake.

Old 02-07-2017, 03:41 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Not me. I never once wanted/needed/desired a full size pickup.

Moved to general discussions.

Old 02-08-2017, 04:28 PM
patchelect
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm on my second Dakota in 25 years. The first was a 90 that I bought new and kept until I got the current one, the '01 also bought new. The total miles on both vehicles is around 150K in all that time. I've drooled over the new Ram for quite a while, but last weekend my wife and I took a 400 mile round trip from Long Island to the Berkshires and when all was said and done the Dakota fits our bill better than any full sized truck ever could. Besides the monetary difference even with looking at Toyota Tacomas I can't push myself into changing my Dakota. I own it, it runs great, and after a repaint in the spring it'll look like new too.

The following users liked this post:
Sneakers03 (10-20-2019)
Old 02-08-2017, 05:13 PM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

they look bigger but drive so much better.

power, fuel mileage, ride are so much better in a new ram than an old dakota. the only thing worse is the $ of a new one. cost of 20" tires yuck.

Old 02-09-2017, 12:15 PM
Dakmm
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by patchelect
I'm on my second Dakota in 25 years. The first was a 90 that I bought new and kept until I got the current one, the '01 also bought new. The total miles on both vehicles is around 150K in all that time. I've drooled over the new Ram for quite a while, but last weekend my wife and I took a 400 mile round trip from Long Island to the Berkshires and when all was said and done the Dakota fits our bill better than any full sized truck ever could. Besides the monetary difference even with looking at Toyota Tacomas I can't push myself into changing my Dakota. I own it, it runs great, and after a repaint in the spring it'll look like new too.
Now see that is one of the reasons I am asking about a Ram. I looked into some of the newer midsize offerings, Colorado and Tacoma, while they are a bit bigger than my Dak, it's not a whole lot but the price tag is.

They are pretty evenly priced with a full size and I can't see paying the same price for a smaller truck that gets basically the same mileage as a full size....so I came back around to a Ram, but then the whole wheel base/parking/width thing came into my mind.

I have no use for a full size towing or hauling wise, the bed size on my Dak is fine for what I need, that back seat is where I need it and doesn't look like any midsize has the room.

Old 02-09-2017, 11:30 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

Okay, first ...what Dakota are you driving... quad cab or other? For me, the QC is pretty decent space.

Secondly, when you say "Ram"... are you talking about older Dodge Ram, or newer Ram brand exclusively? A lot of the older ones have the same size engines as the Dakotas, with more heft to lug around. Personally, I love the QC with 4.7L. Fits me just fine. I do like the RAMs but I'd wait for major redesign of the body style. They seem to be very ubiquitous nowadays.

Last edited by Dodgevity; 02-09-2017 at 11:40 PM.
Sneakers03 (10-20-2019)
Old 01-25-2019, 03:21 PM
Johnhag
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bought our Quad cab Dakota new back in 2004. At the time, it had the best back seat room of any comparably sized trucks. Was going to trade it in last year on a new Ram, but the newer full sized trucks are just HUGE! The bed height is so tall that you can't even reach over the side to get anything out of the bed anymore. Decided that our Dakota quad cab is just the right size for us. Hope they start building Dakotas again, rumor mill says they will, especially since the Ford Ranger is being made again.

On the way to Alaska

Last edited by Johnhag; 01-25-2019 at 03:30 PM.
Sneakers03 (10-20-2019)
Old 01-25-2019, 03:40 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Welcome to the forum Johnhag. I agree, the new Rams are huge! I parked beside one the other day and swore it was a 2500 or 3500.

Old 07-01-2019, 12:28 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

When my trans died in my 92 I went truck shopping. Almost came home with a 2018 1500/hemi with 4k miles. But after saying"never again" to a 5 year car loan 19 years ago on my 97 Wrangler, I sure as hell wasn't gonna sign up for a 7 year loan. I absolutely do not want to buy a 4 door truck with a ridiculously short bed. No way no how. I want a reg cab with a true 8 foot bed. Not 4 doors and 5 foot something bed. The new ones are comically out of proportion.
I'm on my 6th Dakota. The last 4have been a cab and a half. This 99 is the newest one I have had.
With my 1st 3 Dakotas I alternated between Dakota and full size. Every one a Dodge. Won't buy anything else. My newest full size was a 1997. What I'd really like to find is a rust free 93-older D150 or 250. While I'm tired of rust (I'm a mechanic for a living) I do not like or want much of the new tech if I can avoid it. Want to stay with a 318 or a 360 things like cylinder deactivation scare me I don't like timing chains that run all the while grinding away a plastic guide. Steel on spring loaded plastic. C'mon now and I will die before I buy a Toyota or Honda.