2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Leaky plenum gasket & tranny not shifting update

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 04:28 AM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Leaky plenum gasket & tranny not shifting update

Ok well at 44ish-k miles the local dealer replaced my intake plenum gasket under warranty because it was leaking.

Fast forward 34k miles and I'm suffering the same symptoms - 1-2 quarts low on oil per oil change, detonation that won't go away, poor fuel economy, etc.

So my buddy called me up yesterday and said he's putting his power wagon up on the dyno to get the carb dialed in again (went down a squirter size and gained 13 lb-ft) so I said what the heck, I'll go see the guys again.

Fast forward to my buddy rolling off the dyno and going for a test drive - I started talking to the guys and decided to put the dakota up on the dyno. We discussed my two problems - my tranny wouldn't shift into 2nd gear if under WOT in first, and the apparent leaky plenum problem.

Tranny problem - fixed. I spoke with the dealer service department and to an independant tranny shop and neither of them had any idea what could be wrong with it without plugging into the computer - which wouldn't have helped them at all. The kickdown cable was too tight and needed to be adjusted. It's fixed now.

Intake plenum - yesterday I looked down in my manifold and it appeared to be dry as a bone, so I figured it wasn't the problem. Wrong. They had a different test - take the breather and PCV off and check the holes for pressure under throttle. With a functioning intake those should be blowing a little bit, but with the leaky one they have vacuum. Mine were sucking quite a bit.

So I've ordered the Hughes fix. I could get the dealer to fix it under warranty again for $50, thanks to my extended warranty, but for $130 I can just do it myself and get it done right.

Old 03-31-2007, 11:48 AM
racin_40
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Leaky plenum gasket & tranny not shifting update

hmmm, thats cool i will check my intake out today

Quick Reply: Leaky plenum gasket & tranny not shifting update