2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

misfire issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 12:44 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
Default misfire issue

my truck threw a cel today, idk what the code is but it translates into a cylinder 5 misfire, it will only do this at idle, and when it idles for a while, would this be clogged, or dirty fuel injector, and how do you get the fule injectors off to check for clogs???? any help would be appreciated and thanks in advance for any help

Old 04-05-2007, 01:32 AM
imnothot02
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: misfire issue

that or plug..just take ur truck to a mechanic man, ur killin me, not to be rude...but...the thing needs junked, you have more problems with it than its worth fixing...

Old 04-05-2007, 10:47 AM
03dakota4x4

Ive been throwin the code for cylinder 3 misfire. Threw it once, had it cleared few weeks later, same thing, so i replaced plugs, wires, cap and rotor. About a month later i threw it again. I dunno whats causing it. Can anyone help?
Jon

Old 04-05-2007, 10:59 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

nah new plugs i know that, and there really arent that many problems we fixed the smoking and are getting the cat replaced and then its fine, it runs fine and looks great i dont see any real problems with it, but yea as soon as i find a good deal on another dak im going to get rid of it and get a different truck, just want this one to run as i may be using it for a year or so, but thanks for the confidence in getting it running i have put almost NO $$ into the truck at all.

Old 04-05-2007, 12:05 PM
Casper50
Veteran

Well, to start you should do a dry compression test, a wet compression test, and a running compression test. If those all com out fine then do a cylinder power balance test. If it passes that test then check your fuel pressure anddo a fuel injector power balance test. If it passes that then do a fuel injector flow test. While you are doing the flow test you should ohm yourinjectors for the correct resistance. Also make sure you are are gettingconsistent power to the injectors which will make a test light flash rapidly when it's running.If it fails one of those tests it will lead you in the right direction. If it doesn't then you will have to look at some other areas.

Old 04-05-2007, 06:17 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

ORIGINAL: Casper50

Well, to start you should do a dry compression test, a wet compression test, and a running compression test. If those all com out fine then do a cylinder power balance test. If it passes that test then check your fuel pressure anddo a fuel injector power balance test. If it passes that then do a fuel injector flow test. While you are doing the flow test you should ohm yourinjectors for the correct resistance. Also make sure you are are gettingconsistent power to the injectors which will make a test light flash rapidly when it's running.If it fails one of those tests it will lead you in the right direction. If it doesn't then you will have to look at some other areas.
DUHHH!!!!!! sorry, i have no clue how you would do any of these things, except how to ohm the injectors, and what would the reading be on that??? and could you explain the rest to me, or should i just go to a shop and have somebody do it for me???

Old 04-05-2007, 07:23 PM
Casper50
Veteran

LOL!! I knew I was going to get a response like that. I could tell you how to do all of those tests but before I do it you will need a compression tester, a muti-meter, a noid light or test light, and a little power box that will turn on the injectors for a set time. If you don't have those tools then you should probably bring it into a shop. Misfires can be like chasinga ghost.

Old 04-05-2007, 10:29 PM
imnothot02
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: shrpshtr325

nah new plugs i know that, and there really arent that many problems we fixed the smoking and are getting the cat replaced and then its fine, it runs fine and looks great i dont see any real problems with it, but yea as soon as i find a good deal on another dak im going to get rid of it and get a different truck, just want this one to run as i may be using it for a year or so, but thanks for the confidence in getting it running i have put almost NO $$ into the truck at all.
so what did this post have to do wiht anything ya just said you dunno why it cant pass emissions, https://dodgeforum.com/m_759595/tm.htm

Old 04-06-2007, 12:21 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

i cannot pass emissions bc it was smoking and it threw a cel for a bad cat, as of now we have not spent alot of money on it, and the only major fix is going to be the cat, and if this misfire problem comes back, then maybe, but once it passes inspection we're probably just going to sell it to someone else and let them worry about it, and buy me a lower mileage dak, but nothing is decided yet

Old 04-06-2007, 12:41 AM
imnothot02
Record Breaker

ahh gotcha

Quick Reply: misfire issue