2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

tiptronic dakota...

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 12:32 AM
User
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default tiptronic dakota...

I know it was developed by Porscha, but i wonder if anyone has done it to a dakota, i was driving a car today I think it was a toyota or somthing at work and it had tiptronic and it was pretty badass, 4gears thats all i need, instead of moving my leaver shifting up and down when racing.

Maybe i can talk to some custom shop to get this made. not sure how it would work, but i think it would be very expensive tranny, has anyone where herd of people doing it with dakotas?

If i was possible i woundt mind having it in mine.

Old 05-03-2007, 12:44 AM
f0x672
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: tiptronic dakota...

i doubt its very likely to be done on a dakota by one of us unless we have a degree in automotive/eletrical engineering... and i dont advise shifting an automatic like a manual... leaving it in overdrive lets her shift quicker plus i think thats howfirst gear is screwed up in my truck

Old 05-03-2007, 12:57 AM
User
Champion

na ive been reading about it, its a duble clutch atuo tranny, its not shifting like you think it is, have you driven a farrari or somthing they have the controls behind the wheel to shift its kinda like that. Its very good to have if you race. You dont have to worry about a manual clutch so its safer then stick, and its pretty cool one of my friends has a new GM that does it, a Denali (sp?) or somthing and it shifts like a manual 6speed, but you can push a button to put it back into drive and it shifts for you, all you do is touch a button and it shifts to 1st 2nd ect..

Old 05-03-2007, 01:25 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

idk but if you figure out how to do it cheaply i would be interested as i really wanted a manual and that sounds like the best of both worlds

Old 05-03-2007, 02:03 PM
horatio102
Champion

mom's xc90 has a manu-matic tranny and it's dumb as hell. The only benefit is if you're driving a road course and you want to be able to hold gears instead of having the tranny shift up when you lift off the gas. Otherwise a properly adjusted automatic will shift faster at the appropriate RPM and be more consistant.

Old 05-03-2007, 06:47 PM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ya, my rental car last year was a manumatic and the damn thing would always shift by its self anyways.

but I would save up abit more money and just throw a 5spd in there

Old 05-03-2007, 09:49 PM
DevilDog17
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dad had an Infinity G35 and it had a manumatic, but you had to shift it yourself. You could let it go to redline and it would stay in the same gear. Some car manufactures have a program that will shiftbeforeredline as a safety featureso it doesn't redline andscrew up the motor or tranny. I liked the manumatic transmission though.

Old 05-03-2007, 09:52 PM
User
Champion

ORIGINAL: DevilDog17

My dad had an Infinity G35 and it had a manumatic, but you had to shift it yourself. You could let it go to redline and it would stay in the same gear. Some car manufactures have a program that will shiftbeforeredline as a safety featureso it doesn't redline andscrew up the motor or tranny. I liked the manumatic transmission though.
ya, all the ones i have used worked like you just said, none of them shifted on there own.. That would kinda defeat the purpose of even having it in the first place.

Old 05-04-2007, 03:46 AM
Frenchy
Banned

I drove a VW Passat with that..

So much fun...

Quick Reply: tiptronic dakota...