2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Time To Change Spark Plugs, NGK? Bosch?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 01:16 AM
User
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Time To Change Spark Plugs, NGK? Bosch?

do oil change, cap, rotor, wires, plugs, run some sea foam,

I have Autolite 3923's in mine running MSD Ignition, the autolites run a little cooler, so it helps a bit, it has been said that people dynod the plugs and they gain hp.. not much, but better then nothing.

Champ and Autolite 3923's are what i would go with, and either Accel or MSD wires... make sure when you cut them and build them to use the long boots.. 90 degree dot work to well. lol (thats what i did) burnt a wire within acouple of weeks on the header ad was getting a misfire, had a friend in tha Dak club sell me a set of long boot premade for 20$ so i didnt have to go out and spend another 100$ a wires..

Old 05-19-2007, 06:20 PM
Big_Green
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: User2006

I have Autolite 3923's in mine running MSD Ignition, the autolites run a little cooler, so it helps a bit, it has been said that people dynod the plugs and they gain hp.. not much, but better then nothing.

Champ and Autolite 3923's are what i would go with, and either Accel or MSD wires... make sure when you cut them and build them to use the long boots.. 90 degree dot work to well. lol (thats what i did) burnt a wire within acouple of weeks on the header ad was getting a misfire, had a friend in tha Dak club sell me a set of long boot premade for 20$ so i didnt have to go out and spend another 100$ a wires..
Well i just got a tune up at the dealership, does that mean i cant use since my oil is new or can i still do it? Or is it best to do it when your going to change your oil? Can i run Autolite 3923's too?? I know yours is a 5.9? Or would i be different since im a 5.2? Or i would run Champion Iridium or Champion Platinum. Wat would be better the Iridium or the Platinum? Then i would most likley put in MSD wires or Accel what ever is cheaper. Sounds like a good way to spend a weekend working on the truck!!

Old 05-19-2007, 07:48 PM
98R/TDak
Professional

accel i believe is cheaper msd for me was 92$ yea u should be able to use those plugs just make sure u get the right ones that fit ur model and space them if needed

Old 05-20-2007, 07:29 AM
User
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: Big_Green

ORIGINAL: User2006

Well i just got a tune up at the dealership, does that mean i cant use since my oil is new or can i still do it? Or is it best to do it when your going to change your oil? Can i run Autolite 3923's too?? I know yours is a 5.9? Or would i be different since im a 5.2? Or i would run Champion Iridium or Champion Platinum. Wat would be better the Iridium or the Platinum? Then i would most likley put in MSD wires or Accel what ever is cheaper. Sounds like a good way to spend a weekend working on the truck!!

If you just had an oil change then dont worry about it, just nice to do everything at once and get it out of the way.

Yes the plugs will work, they come pre gaped at .40 so you dont need to do anything to them, MSD is more expensive, but worth it. Never use Platinum or Iridium in our engines.. stock to stock or normal copper.. the only diffrence is they last longer, but useally give our engines more misfires i had Bosch Platnium in mine for 2 weeks and i was getting a misfire in every other cyl.. i took them out replaced with autolites everything worked fine.. those damn platniums where like 50$ for 8 i got the autolites for 10$ for all 8...

also you can change the plugs and wires in about 30 min to an hour.. its not a weekend job..

Old 05-20-2007, 05:32 PM
Big_Green
Professional

Ya im going to do it today. So i can just go and ask for Autolite 3923? How long do they last for? Then i will buy some nice MSD wires! Hope my truck runs good afterwards

So next time i do a oil change i can run some sea foam in it. Were do i put it in the tank or the engine?

Old 05-20-2007, 06:07 PM
imnothot02
Record Breaker

engine and the vacuum line off the brake booster

Old 05-20-2007, 06:15 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Big green plugs, wires, etc should last 60k miles...

Old 05-20-2007, 06:16 PM
Big_Green
Professional

ORIGINAL: Mean Green

Big green plugs, wires, etc should last 60k miles...
Big Green Plugs?

Old 05-20-2007, 06:18 PM
imnothot02
Record Breaker

he forgot a comma he was saying Big Green, plugs.....ect

Old 05-20-2007, 06:40 PM
Big_Green
Professional

lol, ok. Even copper plugs last that long? I have heard that dont last that long thou? :S

Quick Reply: Time To Change Spark Plugs, NGK? Bosch?