2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Front brakes overheating

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 12:00 PM
01dakota
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front brakes overheating

I just changed the front brake pads last thursday. They seemed to be working great until yesterday I had to go somewhere and there where alot of big long downgrades. I had to follow a guy on a motorcycle that was driving like a grandma so I had to use the brakes alot. By the time I got to the bottom, The brakes stunk so bad and I had almost no brakes. I used the pads that autozone had in stock. Semi metalic and they were just under $40. I threw the box away because they were working fine. I did not turn the rotors because they looked perfectly fine. They weren't gouged or glazed over.

All I did to change the pads was, Take the caliper loose remove the outside pad and use a c clamp to compress the piston with the old inner pad still installed. I then removed the inside pad and installed the new ones. Put the first side back together and then pushed in the brake patal to make sure the piston went back out evenly. Repeated this on the other side and all worked great. I've done this a million times for every vehicle I've owned. The only thing I noticed that was odd to me was when I finished up and went to put the cap back on the master cylander (fluid tank) I noticed that the brake fluid was way over filled now. I removed enough fluid to get it down to the full mark and left it be. I figured it was just because the old pads where only a 1/4 thick and the new ones where about 1 inch thick. Well anyway, thats my story and I'm sticking to it. I didn't notice anything leaking anywhere, the petal feels really stiff the way it should, and doesn't fall or sink while idleing. Any ideas, I was thinking that maybe the rear needs to be adjusted.

Old 05-20-2007, 01:22 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
Default RE: Front brakes overheating

umm almost every set of brakes i can remeber doing stink for about a week or so until they get settled in all the way, so i would say thats normal, but as for a loss of stopping power i cannot say anything, but that doesnt seem normal to me

Old 05-20-2007, 03:04 PM
imnothot02
Record Breaker

all ur pads looked the same, one wasnt worn more than any other?...sticking caliper?

what brand the store brand at o reeileys kinda sucks they squeak and everything else

Old 05-20-2007, 04:10 PM
01dakota
Rookie

They are Duralast Gold, I got them from Advanced Auto for $38.99 there where three other brands below them. I was going to order the Raybestos but I didn't want to have to go back. All the pads looked the same and after I installed each side I pressed the brakes to make sure they went to the pads. Maybe they could be sticking to and the pistons not lettijng them release right but I'll have to check that out. Any other ideas?

Old 05-20-2007, 04:50 PM
imnothot02
Record Breaker

did ya grease ur pins?

Old 05-20-2007, 08:42 PM
InDeCLiNe

You never buy brakes from Auto Zone they are horrible they will eat your rotors up like no tommorow even if they were 40 dollars a pop I still wouldn't buy them

Old 05-20-2007, 09:53 PM
User
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: imnothot02

did ya grease ur pins?
thats what i was going to say...

Old 05-20-2007, 10:02 PM
imnothot02
Record Breaker

find alot of DIY think they can own a 100 piece tool set guys that dont know they need to do that...[:-][:-][:-]

Old 05-20-2007, 10:06 PM
User
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: imnothot02

find alot of DIY think they can own a 100 piece tool set guys that dont know they need to do that...[:-][:-][:-]
ya there is actually alot of lubing and greasing involved with brakes and rotors ect.. if you dont.. overheat or they stick and crack your rotors or just burn your pads down to nothing..

we had a kid come into NTB the other day driving a v6 99 mustang or some ****, and he did his own brakes, new pads, rotors the big deal.. came in 2 hours later and the damn rotors where so hot we coudnt turn them.. the kid used NO lube what-so-ever.

He told us the whole story to.. kinda funny he knows he is an idiot and brags about it.. gota love ford drivers.

Old 05-20-2007, 10:36 PM
imnothot02
Record Breaker

jsut ppl in general that think they know what they are doing and screw it up for us who make lotsa cash off of em

Quick Reply: Front brakes overheating