2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

cracked hoses

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 12:51 AM
mplue
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cracked hoses

A few months ago, the check engine light came on. I had the code checked a couple of times (don't recall the exact code now) it was stating a small leak was found. I replaced the gas cap and it still came back. I continued to drive it with no problems. Tonight, I was checking under the hood and noticed two hoses with substantial cracks in them and wonder if that is throwing the code. One hose comes from the TB and runs under the relay/fuse box and into a sensor of some sort that is located to the front of the fuse box and to the right of the battery. The other hose comes from some other area and goes to the same sensor. The sensor looks to be the size of a half dollar with an electrical connection coming from it. Does anyone know what that sensor is? Do I just go to the AutoZone/Advance/etc parts store and get a similar hose to replace it and have them clear the code? Thanks for any info.

Old 06-07-2007, 02:48 PM
chris1974
Veteran
Default RE: cracked hoses

Yeah....i would deffinatly replace the hoses. Cracked/leaking hoses can cause all kinds of problems, and yes they can cause the ECM to throw a code. After you replace hoses, have Auto Zone clear the codes, and see what happens. If it throw a code again, make note of the code-there is a section on the forum where you can reference codes, to get some kind of idea as to what is wrong. Knowing exactly what the code is will give you a pretty good idea what the problem is.

Does the truck run okay??

Old 06-07-2007, 03:52 PM
mplue
Rookie

Truck seems to run fine, haven't noticed any problems. I'm going to try and get the hoses todayor tomorrow and replace them.

On another subject, I ordered a Superchips programmer and the Fastman TB today also. Superchips should be here tomorrow and TB next week. Will be getting a Magnaflow cat back sometime this year also. Can't wait to try those out.

Old 06-07-2007, 04:57 PM
chris1974
Veteran

How much did you pay for the programmer? And what sizedid you go on the TB?? Just curious-i have the 4.7 also. Try to keep us posted on the results after the install! [sm=gears.gif]

Old 06-07-2007, 05:42 PM
mplue
Rookie

Almost everywhere I looked on the web, I was finding the Superchips for $380. Jegs had it for $465, but matched the price from one of the websites. I checked ebay and most of them were $380 or close to it also.
When I ordered the TB on Fastman's site, it only let me select the '03 4.7L, but believe it is a true 68.5mm TB. According to his website, the stock unit is about 3mm smaller diameter than what is actually on the TB, so the stock 68mm is really 65mm. It looks like he bores it out 3mm and machines the throttle plate for better throttle response. I've not read a bad thing about his products, so giving it a try. I don't have access to a dyno, so will just be a 'seat of the pants' feel.

Old 06-07-2007, 05:49 PM
chris1974
Veteran

Yeah...thats true about the stock tb's only being 65mm. Congrats on the purchases. Let us know how they turn out.
And yeah.....the fast man is THE man when it comes to the 4.7's.

Old 06-07-2007, 06:46 PM
f0x672
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like your thropwing the EVAP small leak code... truck will run fine but your fuel guage needle will drop quicker then normal

Old 06-07-2007, 06:52 PM
mplue
Rookie

Ya know, now that you mention it, I have noticed a 2-3 mpg dip here lately. I really need to get that fixed the way gas prices are going. I usually get 18mpg back and forth to work per the overhead digital readout and lately it's been mid 16mpg.

Quick Reply: cracked hoses