2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

I need people who have knowledge :).

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 11:37 PM
shamus087
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need people who have knowledge :).

Alright this is about changing the engine on my Dakota i want to know what the costs and what needs to be changed. Before you say "sell it and buy a new truck", this things going to the grave with me, it was my dads and he passed away, so selling it is not a option. also i searched the forums and found nothing with good facts and details. First my truck is the 1997 3.9 i want to go to the 5.9 if possible. If the 5.2 would be easier then I'll go with that. I love my trucks power but it's not the v8 which is what i want, it has a 185,000 miles on it and is kinda lacking the HP it should have.

also on a completely unrelated subject my moms van is having a problem with it's idle its surging like your giving it gas but your not and when the surging subsides it has no idle speed at all.

Well thanks for your time and reading this

Old 06-13-2007, 11:44 PM
User
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: I need people who have knowledge :).

going from a 3.9 to a 5.2 or 5.9 you will need a new tranny.. so add about 1500-2000 to the amount you been thinking, if you know how to pull en engine and get it out then that will save you about 1000 if not add that in. if your going to do an engine swap dont go cheap.. your already going to be paying a ****load for all the **** to do.. so you might as well spend some more and get a crate 360 from fastman or somthing.. you can find them from around 5k-8k depending on the engine itself, you will need new exhuast, PCM, harnesses, ect..

all said and done i would say about 15k? after labor, taxes, parts, headace, beer, nachos, hotdogs, clothes, and 1pt of blood from your local hospital.

Old 06-14-2007, 01:21 AM
RP Racing940
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A 5.2 would be easier and less problem. Just change the mounts over to V8 ones, get a v8 tranny and 5.2L V8 out of another dakota and work in the new harness to your trucks. Remember you WILL need V8 Dakota front springs.

Old 06-14-2007, 01:30 AM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

first off, if you go with an engine out of another rig then you will need the complete wiring harness, the pcm and also the fuel system stuff. putting in a heavier engine will result in frt end work also. if money is tight then take the motor thats in it now and have it over hauled this would be the best bet.

Old 06-14-2007, 02:32 AM
JBs DAK
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Start calling local bone-yards,.. Find yourself a donor truck that's got most what you need.
It will be a lot easier on you in the long run.

Old 06-14-2007, 02:46 AM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would find a wrecked dak and use it as a donor truck. you will save alot of money. plus you can sell what you dont use too.

Old 06-14-2007, 02:50 AM
f0x672
Champion

your all wrong.... throw a cummins into that beast

Old 06-14-2007, 02:58 AM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: f0x672

your all wrong.... throw a cummins into that beast

now your talkin

Old 06-14-2007, 03:25 AM
wink2873
Record Breaker

www.socaldakota.com they've got completely assembled engines including 408's. i'd say get yourself one of those if you really want power. you'll need a 9.25 or dana 60 rear end to hold up to that power, probably a 727 torqueflite tranny. v8 ecm, it's really not all that complicated. by the way i really know what you're talking about when you say you'll not just buy a different truck. my 2001 dakota was my grandpa's, he passed away and he wanted me to have it. when i got it, the truck had 2,000 miles on it. i will never sell that truck, i'll drive it till every piece on it breaks and i replace all of them until they quit making replacement parts, then i'll start machining my own parts. then when i die im gonna have a huge hole dug and i'm gonna have my whole truck put in the ground with me in the bed. anyway, the point is, dont just sell it. do whatever it takes to get it done. i have plans for a v8 swap myself and people call me stupid, but i dont care, im doing it anyway.

Old 06-14-2007, 03:48 AM
User
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: wink2873

www.socaldakota.com they've got completely assembled engines including 408's. i'd say get yourself one of those if you really want power. you'll need a 9.25 or dana 60 rear end to hold up to that power, probably a 727 torqueflite tranny. v8 ecm, it's really not all that complicated. by the way i really know what you're talking about when you say you'll not just buy a different truck. my 2001 dakota was my grandpa's, he passed away and he wanted me to have it. when i got it, the truck had 2,000 miles on it. i will never sell that truck, i'll drive it till every piece on it breaks and i replace all of them until they quit making replacement parts, then i'll start machining my own parts. then when i die im gonna have a huge hole dug and i'm gonna have my whole truck put in the ground with me in the bed. anyway, the point is, dont just sell it. do whatever it takes to get it done. i have plans for a v8 swap myself and people call me stupid, but i dont care, im doing it anyway.
HAHAHAHA..

That would be pure redneck right there, but i feel the same way... so i cant say anything lol..

Thats actually a damn good idea. Im going to tell my kids to put me in the ground with my truck.. my truck being the casket.

wow.. im really into this.. i wonder if its already been done!

Quick Reply: I need people who have knowledge :).