2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Nothing but problems...

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 05:57 AM
f0x672
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Nothing but problems...

yea replaced it with the black plastic/rubber gasket from dodge

Old 06-22-2007, 01:22 PM
varsis
Record Breaker

guess I might be getting all my money back than. They told me all routine maintenance was done, if the gasket was never replaced than there we go. The gaskets also looked very old.

Old 06-22-2007, 09:26 PM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dont they come with silicone from factory? I know back in the day thats all they used.

Old 06-22-2007, 10:23 PM
varsis
Record Breaker

That is why Im asking there was a cork gasket when I pulled the pan off. Luckily I have a friend who helped me do this so I have him as a witness.

Old 06-22-2007, 11:09 PM
Chris
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I replaced the pan gasket, I was provided a black rubber gasket. It is working fine.

Old 06-24-2007, 01:50 AM
chris0211
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gotta love Dodge Trans..........

Old 06-24-2007, 02:35 AM
f0x672
Champion

yea they used to use silicone, then i noticed cork gaskets, and dealerships put on the heat resistent plastic gaskets which i like

and dodge transmissions do suck.... mine is getting rebuilt cause either a thrust washer from the trans or the torque converter blew apart which scrwed up the solenoid pack which got into the clutches, ate them alive, and in turn my O/D unit failed, causing that to overheat, somehow melt the outsput shaft and sorta fusing the o/d unit to the transmission case, so now i may have to find a new case for this rebuild.... and i forgot to mention the torque converter locked itself onto the input shaft... and from, what i looked up, these transmissions have one way check valve in the plumbing in the transmission that can limit the fluid flow, thats always a bonus.. im scared to see this rebuild bill.. from $1500 to god only knows what.. at least i know stronger parts are being shoved in it

yeah.. im really pissed off over this[sm=shootshoot.gif]

Old 06-24-2007, 04:50 AM
varsis
Record Breaker

Take it to a Reputable tranny shop not the cheapest one. Get your mechanic to recommend you and don't bother getting something cheap, pay the extra 500 bucks if needed. As for the one way valve stupidest thing ever. Got a bypass cooler installed on mine and the mechanic took of the separate tranny cooler with the one way valve which can get clogged and cause issues. If you get it rebuilt good I bet the dodge tranny can hold a lot, just need to be better than stock.:S

Old 06-24-2007, 05:13 AM
f0x672
Champion

o no i made sure its going to a reputable builder, best in the poconos from what i heard, its been tehre since wednesday and the guy wanted me to see the damage this past friday, told him i dont have a ride, didnt click in him so he didn't even work on it, haha, he's installing a cooler to go inline with the stock transmission coolerm free of charge, heavy duty clutches, better pump, shift kit * if i can offord it* and i beleive a 5 pinion overdrive unit, so the transmission can hold up to a lot more, he going to taks out the one way check valve so the fluid can flow better, il have the full run down on monday.. ive talked to a few buddies of mine who have gone to the guy, says once a dodge transmission goes in there for work, never goes back for work.. so thats a plus

Old 06-24-2007, 05:36 AM
varsis
Record Breaker

Yea it is. Mine is just garbage. I know for a good rebuilt though here with HEAVY duty parts, Can probably handle something big with the a500. But it was about 1,000 bucks more, and he told me if I got him to install the tranny, he would give me 2 years warranty and whatever for k's. Unless of course I recked it 4x4in or something but thats different.

Quick Reply: Nothing but problems...