2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Nothing but problems...

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 11:10 PM
varsis
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Nothing but problems...

Well today i am driving along normally and i notice the transmission slipping in first gear. I didn't think much of it a few days ago only happened like once. Now it is happening constantly. Well it is still under warranty but they don't want to cover the removal of the transmission So I have to do this myself again! This upsets me. I think I might be filing a complaint under their group. It is upsetting when it has only been driven about 3-4 thousand km's on this rebuild. It is stupid, I am frustrated if they don't take out the transmission and rebuild it we will be taking them to court. Service should be satisfied not broken. I think that I will try to get money back for the rebuild and get money for the case. This way i can get 2,000 dollars and fork out for a brand new one or something similar. I hope maybe I can find a wrecked v8 for cheap. Just do a swap, that or a ram. This way I can get the tranny from there and maybe drop in a 5.7l hemi. The guy who did the 5.7l hemi said he spent 2,500. So I will see.

Old 06-19-2007, 11:52 PM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Nothing but problems...

forgt about going to court. go to the dept of motor vech. and file a complaint there. the will do a better job than an attorney. this is why we pay motor taxes. they will either send a dmv officer there or they will send one there with you. just descibe what is going on and they will help.

Old 06-20-2007, 02:25 AM
varsis
Record Breaker

Im in Canada so Im not sure if we have an apartment like this.
Edit: Something like AMA i am thinking. I will have to phone them up tomorrow!

Old 06-20-2007, 04:58 AM
f0x672
Champion

if the transmission is under warranty.. so is dropping the thing to have it repaired, is this dodge or a transmission place giving you a hard time?... assuming it's dodge, time to give them a call as well

Old 06-20-2007, 02:27 PM
varsis
Record Breaker

No it's a separate shop out of town. They rebuilt it and now it's failing in about the same manner before it was rebuilt. Because they didn't install the transmission they won't take it out. Most places charge about 90 bucks an hour here. So To remove it, it would cost me about 360 bucks for removal. To install it would cost about the same, and I might as well have had the transmission rebuilt again. The thing is the rebuilt cost 1,600. They should be removing it if they caused the problem.

Old 06-20-2007, 06:06 PM
Chris
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As much as you don't want to hear it, the shop is correct. If they didn't install the transmission, they will not take it out, as the service time it took to install the tranny was not given to them. Why should they have to eat the cost of the service time if they didn't do the install? It sucks, but they have a point. For all they know, whoever installed it could have caused this problem and they will have to rebuild it for free anyway.

Just my $.02.

Old 06-22-2007, 02:10 AM
varsis
Record Breaker

I know the person very well who installed it and I know it was installed very well too. He even told me it probably will be gone in a few months and look what happens.

Old 06-22-2007, 02:35 AM
varsis
Record Breaker

I want to add this does anyone know if cork gaskets should be on an oil pan? Does anyone have a 1997 with a cork gasket, maybe when you bought but when did dodge remove this and switch to rubber? I need to know for my case.

Old 06-22-2007, 02:57 AM
f0x672
Champion

i think cork is the factory common piece, when i dropped the pan on my 01 for the first time it was cork, and no there shouldnt be pieces of cork in the pan, on the mating surface between the pan and the transmission, but definately not inside the pan

Old 06-22-2007, 02:59 AM
varsis
Record Breaker

No it was the gasket. When you went to buy your new gasket did you get a rubber one?

Quick Reply: Nothing but problems...