2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Water spots

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 02:26 AM
V8Boss
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water spots

Anyone know the best way to get water spots off windows and how to keep them off? I've got limo tint so the spots show really bad. I tried using real fine steal wool with polish. Worked fine for about a month then came right back and it was a pain in the ***. Any advice would be great Thanks!

Old 07-13-2007, 02:34 AM
Night_Runner
Champion
Default RE: Water spots

well, i have dark tint on my truck, rears turned out to be about 3% and front i left 15% with a 5% brow....the fronts seem darker than 15% though and look like they match the rears bc it is so dark in the cab anyway with the rest of the windows not letting light in....i dont really get any water spots anywhere except on the windshield where my wipers dont wipe. my favorite glass cleaner is Invisable Glass by Stoners which can be picked up at any autozone/walmart ect ect...i buy in the airosol can. i also use rainx which i cannot live without...idk what to tell you, ive never had a major waterspot problem like what you are discribing.

more of an explination may be needed to understand when you are getting these. is it just from rain/dew ect, is it only on your windows that concerns you ect...if you clean your windows in the sun, waterspots will remain there for the most part....clean them in the shade when it is cool outside, they will look like a mirror

Old 07-13-2007, 04:11 AM
chris0211

Beleive it or not the Mr. Clean auto dry works pretty well. i have really hard water and theres spots like crazy after i wash (eazy way to get rid is to just dry the car off, dont let it sit and dry). the mr. clean auto dry has a filter that filter the water so that doesnt happen.. im sure there is other **** that does that to but it works pretty well.

Old 07-13-2007, 08:26 AM
V8Boss
Professional

Yeah I wont wash my truck with anything other than Mr Clean Auto Dry. It is the best damn thing brought to the car wash market. Anyway, I live in DC so there is condesation in the morning some times and it will rain one day then is super hot the next during the summer, so I dont know if that is causing it or what. It seem like the water is just getting baked on becuase those windows get so damn hot.. Also the truck was purchased by the original owner in Hawaii and stayed there for some years, so I am not sure if the salt in the air had anything to do with it. When I said that used the stealwool and polish, it wasnt gone it just looked better. I am hoping that if I can REALLY get rid of them not just polish them up they will go away for good.

Old 07-13-2007, 10:25 AM
Night_Runner
Champion

ok, wax your windows, i know a lot of people that do that. id clean them up with a good window cleaner first....its worth a shot

Old 07-13-2007, 10:39 AM
V8Boss
Professional

Just got that Turtlewax liquid clay bar and all the other crap so I will try that, wax em and throw some rain-x on em. Thanks for the advice

Old 07-13-2007, 11:56 AM
Night_Runner
Champion

actually, i am not sure what rainx will do to the wax...try rainx on one side and just wax on the other and let us know how it compairs...the rainx may strip the wax if put on top and/or the combination of the two mixedmay leave swirls or streaks in your windowthat would need to be cleaned off

Old 07-13-2007, 01:18 PM
imnothot02
Record Breaker

rain x will make ur problem worse...also the auto dry doesnt do much either i use a wax it dry product from armor all works great the windows you should jsut clean them once a week, along with the rest of the vehicle...wax them with a good glas polish this will help to a extent.

Old 07-13-2007, 01:22 PM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use mr clean auto dry too. it makes it soo much easier.

I would clean your windows with alcohol and then wax them or rain ex them

I always wax my windows when I wax my truck and use rain ex in between.

Old 07-13-2007, 07:15 PM
heavyk298
Banned

waxing your windows and putting rain x on them is basically the same thing. i dont know how to get thewater spots off.

Quick Reply: Water spots