2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Exhaust questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 09:05 AM
Old man with a Hemi2
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Originally Posted by Blacknights
"federal law requires vehicles produced after 1974"

I'm going to clarify this for others, the vehicles are required by federal law to be "produced" with cats on them. So when the vehicle rolls out of the factory and is sold by a dealer it must have it. Operations and minimal maintenance requirements of vehicles are regulated at the state level.

I may be wrong, but I believe the states are told by the federal govt how to handle emission standards, by basically threatening states with refusal of federal highway funds if states don't comply with federal guidelines. The states only started sniffer tests after being told to by the feds. States really have nothing to do with sniffer tests or obd diagnosis, other than complying with what they have been told to do. Rural states such as OK, probably have no pressure from the feds since there is nothing in OK, other than rolling hills and not many high population towns. The feds never go after small towns, just high population centers. I live in Tenn and where I live we have no tests because we are rural, but around all the big cities, they test, so if you live in a highly populated area, chances are you will be tested, and those tests are required by federal law. The states make the tests, but the feds call the shots as to when and where

Old 06-07-2013, 06:09 PM
Dakotaquad
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well i am running a 2.50 in Y pipe to a 3 inch collector going to a 3 inch Hushpower muffler . I also have 2 O2 sims for the downstream O2s. the truck is running fine and i past inspection so its do able :P .

Quick Reply: Exhaust questions