2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

New project (will update as i go..)

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 08:56 PM
User
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: New project (will update as i go..)

ORIGINAL: Mean Green

If it was like the D then they only started putting the extra e-fan in in 2000. Why don't you try my route out User, I did the mark VIII and for your application it would work out great and you don't even have to get rid of your overflow just trim the top corners on the fan shroud.
cuz i want that big plastic piece of **** out of there it takes up to much room, and it looks ALOT cleaner without it. The clutch fan and shroud take up so much space in my truck.. when i get done with this project i could probably stand in the engine bay lol.. na j/k but you can EASLY get to all the pulleys and other crap ALOT better.

Like i said ill post pics when done and you will see the diffrence.

Old 09-08-2007, 09:47 PM
User
Champion

I got a lot of work done today/night. Ill update with photos and info tomorrow.

I didnt install the Washer bottle, but i got the fan removed, shroud removed, and the Overflow bottle installed and mounted.

Still have to wire in a switch for the fan, and install the washer bottle, and everything will be done.

The engine bay looks alot cleaner now..

Old 09-08-2007, 09:59 PM
Spidaman TNMC
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

shweeeet. i wanna do this

Old 09-08-2007, 10:13 PM
OneBadKota
All Star

Nice little project. The engine bay will definately be nicer. I don't miss my 20ft V6 shroud one bit.

Old 09-08-2007, 10:26 PM
Spidaman TNMC
Veteran

ORIGINAL: OneBadKota

Nice little project. The engine bay will definately be nicer. I don't miss my 20ft V6 shroud one bit.
i kno you may get this alot but...damn man

thats one bad *** 1st gen

Old 09-09-2007, 09:03 AM
OneBadKota
All Star

ORIGINAL: Spidaman TNMC

ORIGINAL: OneBadKota

i kno you may get this alot but...damn man

thats one bad *** 1st gen
Thanks. I appreciate it.

Old 09-09-2007, 01:59 PM
User
Champion

Ok got the pics uploaded.

Getting the brass inserts in the Overflow bottle was a bit of a pain, since i didnt have a bit big enough for the holes, i had to use a file and make it big enough, and then threading the inserts in STRAIGHT was kinda hard lol. But i did it, i was going to use somthing to seal the insert in, but after you thread it into the pvc its in there so tight it wont come loose or leak. I did some test runs and let run, works great, our systems arnt suppost to go above 20psi but if they do, the cap opens it will will overflow.

So anyways. Here is the bottle with the brass inserts in it.

OK so thats that,

after i got done with the bottle i had to measure the hose from the bottom of the bottle to the radiator cap overflow. And just got a hose coming out the side of the tank for the overflow (when the bottle gets to full)

I took out the fan shroud, clutch fan, bottom shroud, here are some pics of the stuff i removed and what it looks like after it all gone. O and the fan that you see is the OEM fan it comes with (the one im using for now)

To take out the fan, all i did was shuv a allen wrench in one of the little pulley holes so it was wedged between the waterpump and pulley so that the puley woudnt turn while i was busting the clutch fan bolt off.

I didnt have a wrench small/big enough to fit between the fan and the pulley so i had to use a set of channel locks and a big hammer. Took about 5 min of sweat and bitching to get it loose. BTW turn it counter clockwise.. some people say that its reverse thread.. but left is loosy like normal on this one.

So ya, here is what it looks like installed and some new pics of the engine bay.

and today or tuesday ill be finishing up the relay and wiring for the auto on fan switch and finish up the washer bottle. When you take out the shroud there is 2 sensors and a hose plugged into the side of the shroud for the washer. One if a pump and the other is a sensor to tell you when your washer fluid is low.

They both have rubber gromments so it makes it a tad bit easier to install on the bottle.

here is a pic of the bottle with the pump installed, all i did was drill out a hole a tad bit smaller then the rubber gromment and then put it in and the pump has a price of plastic that goes into the gromment to make it snug and leak free.. i made it tight, so it wont leak.

Old 09-10-2007, 08:54 PM
User
Champion

what no one likes the outcome.. hahaha

Old 09-10-2007, 09:14 PM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that looks pretty good. I think next year I might put and E fan on mine. but atleast I dont have to mess with the washer fluid and coolant tank[sm=smarty.gif]

Old 09-11-2007, 02:43 AM
englitrob
Rookie

does the electric fan keep up with the heat? I know the fan shroud is designed to increase the pull of the fan at the radiator to make the fan more efficient. I was thinking about doing this myself, but i always have to keep the 110 degree summer heat in bumper to bumper freeway traffic in mind.

Quick Reply: New project (will update as i go..)