2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

4X4 question

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 10:02 AM
chowzur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4X4 question

I've got a Dakota 4X4 Quad Cab with all-wheel drive. I replaced my front brakes this weekend with the truck in parking gear and the engine off and I noticed that the driver-side wheel would not turn very far but the passenger-side wheel turned freely. I was wondering if this was normal or do I have a problem with my transfer case or a CV joint? Thanks.

Old 08-27-2007, 10:05 AM
chowzur
Default RE: 4X4 question

BTW, it's a 2003.

Old 12-27-2007, 08:56 PM
w9awx
Professional

I would think that you would have a problem turning the wheels independently seeing that all 4 wheels are driven together. Not owning a awd vehicle ever, I am just guessing. I would think that it would be just like my truck in 4wd. Everything is locked together.

Old 12-29-2007, 09:37 AM
pwdrhaulr

First, you need to understand the various "4" wheel drive options. You have an "All Wheel Drive" system. This means that you have a semi automatic transfer case that is activated when ever you put the vehicle in gear or motion. You also have "Limited" slip differentials which means that your system is designed to take power away from the wheel/wheels that are slipping and transfer it to those that have traction. Also your system only allows 1 wheel to drive the vehicle until the "All Wheel Drive" is activated, then generally when it's engaged, the diagonally opposite wheel from the rear drive wheel "locks" in. 4X2's generally speaking are the same systems however with some minor differences. 4X2's usually require you to maually "Engage" the transfer case by a shifter or a switch. The rear axles also may have a "Locker" differential that "locks" the 3rd member to create a "Live" axle. The front axle will still be a "Limited" slip and you may or may not have to manually lock in the front hubs. The Big Dog is the 4X4. This system requires manually engage the transfer case, lock in the front hubs and both front and rear axles have "Locker" 3rd Members. Steering radius' also vary between the systems. All Wheel Drives generally turn sharper, follow by 4X2's with the 4X4's needing 40 acres to turn arround (Just Kidding).
What you describe with 1 wheel spinning freely and the other not tells me that that's just the Limited Slip properties of the axle working with the transfer case. I would venture to guess that if you had your vehicle completely off the ground and you started turning a wheel that had resistance, the opposite side wheel on the other axle would also turn.I would be more concerned with any unusal noises or clunks or excessive "play" in the axle.
I hope that helped.

Old 12-29-2007, 11:28 AM
w9awx
Professional
Default RE:4X4question

Guess I have been confused. I thought my 4x4 truck was 4x4. According to your post, I actually have a 4x2, which I thought were the two wheel drive ones (four wheels, two drive wheels). Why then does my build sheets say I have 4x4? It has the floor shifted transfer case with 2 hi, 4 hi, Neutral, and 4 low. Maybe I an just confused about the exact definitions. lol. Thanks for the great information. Learning alot from this website.

Quick Reply: 4X4 question