2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

2004 cruise control problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 12:56 PM
snikr
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 cruise control problem

I just bought a used 2004 Dakota Quad Cab SXT with 13000 miles on it (4.7 V-8). I'm having an interminent problem with the cruise control now. Sometimes the cruise will NOT turn on (I hit the switch but the cruise light doesn't come on). And yes the horn does work when the cruise doesn't turn on so I don't think it's the clock spring.(I did do a search but couldn't find what I was looking for). This has only happened maybe twice in a couple of weeks. Any ideas what to check? It has been back to the dealer as it's still under warrenty for a couple more months. The dealer couldn't get it to act up (lucky me). Thanks.

Tom

Old 08-30-2007, 01:05 PM
Chris
Record Breaker
Default RE: 2004 cruise control problem

Sounds like the connection inside the steering column. If the light does come on and it is still acting up, check the vacuum line.

Old 08-30-2007, 01:37 PM
snikr

So far whenever the cruise will turn on it works. The dealer did think of the clock spring as well but the horn does work even when the cruise can't be turned on. If anymore information is needed just ask.

Tom

Old 08-31-2007, 12:04 PM
Chris
Record Breaker

Just because the horn works, doesn't mean the wiring through your steering column is OK. My air bag light is on and my cruise control doesn't work (I am going to look into the wiring this weekend if I get the time) however, my horn still works. So don't be too quick to rule it out.

Old 08-31-2007, 05:50 PM
snikr

I just heard from the dealer I bought it from and he as much said the same thing. The clock spring wiring could be a problem even if the horn works and the air bag light doesn't come on. Or they said it could be a speed sensor that is acting up. Time will tell. Thanks for your help Virused. I'll keep everyone posted when it gets fixed.

Tom

Quick Reply: 2004 cruise control problem