2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Easy Mods?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 04:51 PM
Rustbelt Quad
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Easy Mods?

I would like to do a few mods to my Dakota. It is a 2000 4.7 quad cab. I read that the Autolite 3923 plugs are good for the magnum. It doesn't say whether this is forthe V6 or V8. Another thing I have been trying to find out is if anyone has experimented with different injectors or spark plug coils. Somewhere I heard that injectors from a mustang will give better response and MPG. Any comments?
GS

Old 09-13-2007, 06:22 PM
02dakotakid
Professional
Default RE: Easy Mods?

just make sure that you use copper core plugs. the titanium ones dont run well in the daks. the factory has even said that the titanium ones will cause preignition and thats never good. i would go with a CAI and an exhaust.

Old 09-13-2007, 06:44 PM
threesixoh
Rookie

ORIGINAL: 02dakotakid
the titanium ones dont run well in the daks. the factory has even said that the titanium ones will cause preignition and thats never good.
I can vouch for that, we tried the Bosch Platinum 4s in my brother's truck when we first got it, some 8 years ago, and the truck ran so horribly he couldnt even drive it. We took the plugs back to Autozone and got some Autolites.

Old 09-14-2007, 12:20 PM
Rustbelt Quad

But are the Autolite 3923's the right plugs for the 2000 4.7 V8? Were they cross referenced or were they something someone just tried and they worked? Did they try a plug on either side of the factory specs or how did they determine that these were the plugs to use? I am willing to try something other than what the factory says.
How about the different injectors anyone have a thought on those?

Old 09-14-2007, 03:28 PM
Twiztid
Veteran

from v8performance.com - tips and tricks (although not sure if it applies to your 4.7)

"While the factory and factory replacement spark plugs work, the Magnum engines have shown slightly better performance with the Autolite 3923 Spark Plugs. The Autolite 3923's are a standard tip spark plug that is one heat range colder than stock, as compared to the extended "Special Power Tip" plugs that the engine came with. Why the difference? A standard tip plug is less susceptible to detonation, is a good replacement for modified Magnum engines, and work very well with modified engines as well...especially when using Nitrous or a Supercharger. In some cases, the Autolite 3923's also showed a 4-5HP difference at the rear wheels on the Dyno. (The test was performed with new OEM Spark plugs vs. the Autolite 3923's. No changes to the engine and the plugs were tested on the same day under the same conditions.)"

Old 09-16-2007, 01:41 PM
Rustbelt Quad

That is where I got the 3923 part number. But it doesn't say if they are for the V-6or one of the V-8's. My Dakota has 82K on it and the plugs are shot. From the other cars I have had that seems a little early. Not as bad asmy old Duster though.
GS

Old 09-17-2007, 09:37 AM
Twiztid
Veteran

Just talk to the autoparts store guy. He should be able to tell you if these fit and are indeed just a cooler plug then stock. If he cant, go to a diff parts store. I like Napa's myself.

Old 09-17-2007, 04:22 PM
ImBigJSon

v8performance.com

Old 09-17-2007, 07:51 PM
DakinUK
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best mod I've done so far is setting up the TPS properly, as described in the "Sticky" section. It makes a real difference, is easy to do and best of all, its free! Next best in terms of gains per $ is fitting a 180 Stat. Very cheap and relitivly easy to do and is a good opertunity to do a rad flush at the same time.
After that its going to start costing you and whilst everything helps, the gains from a CAI and or an exhaust cost a lot more in terms of bhp/$. I wish I'd done the cheap things first instead of last!

Paul.

Quick Reply: Easy Mods?