2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

True Duals

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 02:15 PM
griffster36
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default True Duals

I don't think this setup is considered true duals but I wanted to double check. Runing two pipes from each header into a flowmaster 40 that has two inputs and two outputs. Is this considered true duals since you have two pipes going into and out of the muffler, or since they are both going to the same muffler regardless. Also, is this efficient?

Old 09-14-2007, 02:58 PM
MulletsRT
Default RE: True Duals

Pretty sure its basically the same thing, only instead of adding an X-pipe or H-pipe just go to a dual in/out muffler. Correct me if i'm wrong guys.

Old 09-15-2007, 01:43 PM
98R/TDak
Professional

yea its true dual but what engine do you have? if its a v8 with one muffler you might be getting a lot more back pressure using only one muffler..i know dodges tend to thrive on some back pressure to keep low end torque but that might be a lot of exhaust flow for just one muffler

Old 09-16-2007, 12:57 PM
griffster36
Rookie

Yeah its a V8 4.7, so I have no idea if the torque will be affected. I guess its something to consider.

Old 09-17-2007, 11:33 AM
Durango911
Professional

I was just curious how everyone is putting dual exhuast on their trucks? I know it seems like a simple concept, just run pipes with mufflersfrom the headers back and eliminate the O2'sbut I still want to use my O2 sensors which are located before and after the cat.

Old 09-17-2007, 01:06 PM
varsis
Record Breaker

My guess would be run, one pipe with the 02 the other without. Or buy some simulator o2's this way, your o2 sensor will be considered there but not actually.

Old 09-17-2007, 11:34 PM
Durango911
Professional

I guess that would work if you don't care too much about your engine. If you onlyput them in one pipe would give it ininaccurate reading.I imagine when I put 10lbs of boost to it with a O2 simulator, the engine would run too lean and then blow up.

Old 09-18-2007, 12:22 AM
rred
Professional

i've never heard that called true duals. true duals uses two mufflers and two cats with each pipe running seperate from one another. people add an x pipe or an h pipe to equal out the pressure and make it more efficient. two in and out one muffler isn't any different then having a y pipe at the headers and a y pipe after the muffler. that one muffler is gonna have about the same restriction.

i could be wrong in your guys idea of true dual exaust.

true dual:
--header----cat---------muffler-----tip-

Old 09-21-2007, 05:42 PM
griffster36
Rookie

ORIGINAL: rred

i've never heard that called true duals. true duals uses two mufflers and two cats with each pipe running seperate from one another. people add an x pipe or an h pipe to equal out the pressure and make it more efficient. two in and out one muffler isn't any different then having a y pipe at the headers and a y pipe after the muffler. that one muffler is gonna have about the same restriction.

i could be wrong in your guys idea of true dual exaust.

true dual:

This is why I was thinking it wouldn't make a difference in pressure, but I didnt know if this 2in/out flowmasters were two seperate chambered systems into one muffler body or just one chamber. beats me.

Old 09-21-2007, 08:52 PM
skeeter0288
Professional

check local emission standards-i have heard that newer vehicles have to stay pretty much stock from the muffler forward.and if you did eliminate the 02 sensors would it trigger the idiot light on the dash or fail emissions?

Quick Reply: True Duals