2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Fuel Tank Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 09:31 AM
DakinUK
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fuel Tank Upgrade

Has anyone else heard about the larger fuel tank mod? I can't remember exactly which forum (think it was a Jeep one) I read it on but they were saying that the only differance between the tank sizes on Jeep Grand Cherokees was a plastic ball that shut off the filler neck early on the smaller tank option. The tanks are the same size! Its just a cheap way for the manufacturer to get you pay for a high cost option for minimal cost to themselves. I wouldn't be suprised to find it a common practice amongst other models.
If its true, and I do say IF. Would it be the same for the "two" Dakota tanks. Has anyone seen both tanks together and seen a physical diferance in size, or has anyone had the fuel-filler assembly apart? As I have the smaller (18 US gallon) tank, it would be worth a few hours under the car getting the "ball" out to get the "bigger" tank.

Old 09-27-2007, 12:33 PM
batman13
Grand Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fuel Tank Upgrade

no, i've not heard of a ball in the filler.
I don't think it's on these trucks. i'll let you know when i get my new filler hose i'll check when i put it in

Old 09-27-2007, 12:58 PM
DakinUK
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not exactly sure where in the filler system the ball is. Someone on the forum I saw the article in said that the ball was to stop fuel spillage in the event of an accident but as the ball is suposed to be like a ping-pong ball, it wouldn't do much good in the event of a roll-over!
Tell us what you find, as long as you got the smaller tank! If the story is true, then you won't have the ball if you've got the larger tank.

Old 09-27-2007, 03:57 PM
Twiztid
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to use a 25+ gallon fuel cell mounted in the bed behind the window, but want my gas gauge to still be usable.......but I have no clue about electronics....

Quick Reply: Fuel Tank Upgrade