2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

low oil pressure and low idle when stopped

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 03:34 PM
imnothot02
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: low oil pressure and low idle when stopped

well if it has 50 k id highly doubt a oil pump, smelling like gas isnt good, thinking mabie a vac hose is cracked, you have any way to smoke test ur system, propane or otherwise?

Old 10-03-2007, 08:03 PM
blckspder

I have propane, I also got the chiltons book for the truck... but it doesn't really say anything about any vacuum hoses...

Old 10-27-2007, 11:58 AM
blckspder

I still havent firgured out whats wrong with my truck, so I am revisiting this forum.

I have a 2001 dodge dakota sport 3.9L V6 about 80K on it. Recently is started idling rough and the oil pressure drops once the truck is warmed up. You can also smell gas coming out of the exhaust.

I have been thinking it is a vacuum hose, but I cant find a leak... I brought it to garage and they said it might be the spark plugs or wires.. but I figured the check engine light would come on, which is hasn't and when the mechanic hooked up the computer no codes were being outputed(sp?) if any one has any ideas I would really appreciate it! thanks for your help.

Old 10-27-2007, 12:46 PM
imnothot02
Record Breaker

if ya dont have a vacumme leak clean ur TB out, this could be causing the gas smell or a clogged cat, what kind of mpg you geting?

Old 10-27-2007, 01:02 PM
blckspder

TB? the transfer box? I was getting about 18 mpg, butI haven't really been driving it since then so I don't know how bad if at all it has been effected.. Thanks for the reply

Old 10-27-2007, 01:46 PM
imnothot02
Record Breaker

throttle body there is a post on this forum about how to do it some reason i cant get the search to work tho...lol

Old 10-27-2007, 01:49 PM
blckspder

throttle body got it!.. lol that figures about the search.. I will try and search too! thanks

Old 10-28-2007, 01:24 PM
blckspder

Well I cleaned the throttle body and it seems to be idling smoother now, in reverse it is still alittle rough but no where near as bad as before. The only think I noticed is that the oil gauge still drops down to the lower white line, but not past it.

When I took off the throttle body I noticed that the end of the vacuum hose that hooks up to that plastic cap that sits on top of the TB had a plastic piece that it hooked up to on the engine, it is a black 90 degree elbow with a flange and it goes right intothe engine, I will take a pic if you don't know what Im talking about, but that seemed alittle loose.

let me know. Thanks for your help.

Old 10-28-2007, 03:01 PM
imnothot02
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: blckspder
When I took off the throttle body I noticed that the end of the vacuum hose that hooks up to that plastic cap that sits on top of the TB had a plastic piece that it hooked up to on the engine, it is a black 90 degree elbow with a flange and it goes right intothe engine, I will take a pic if you don't know what Im talking about, but that seemed alittle loose.

let me know. Thanks for your help.
yea pic be good

Old 10-28-2007, 04:05 PM
hendo72

ORIGINAL: blckspder

Well I cleaned the throttle body and it seems to be idling smoother now, in reverse it is still alittle rough but no where near as bad as before. The only think I noticed is that the oil gauge still drops down to the lower white line, but not past it.
I own a 2002 Dakota Quad 3.9L.

I spoke with a mechanic buddy of mine when I noticed my oil pressure was doing the same thing. He says that's normal, as long as it doesn't drop BELOW the lower line.

Quick Reply: low oil pressure and low idle when stopped