2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

low oil pressure and low idle when stopped

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 08:27 PM
blckspder
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: low oil pressure and low idle when stopped

Thats what someone told me too, but I don't know why I wouldnt have noticed it before, and why there is gas smell coming from the exhaust.. Ill keep troubleshooting it.

Here is the pic of the piece that is loose and connected to a vacuum hose that I talked about in a previous post.

[IMG]local://upfiles/14909/AE4598506AC048F1A1EF27A69BB85446.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-02-2007, 08:35 PM
stantheman
Professional

Looks like where your pcv valve should be! Look down inside your throttle body and see if the bottom of the plenum is wet with oil. If it is then you need to have your bed pan gasket replaced. Common problem with the magnum engines.

Old 11-02-2007, 08:47 PM
blckspder

The PCV valve is on the other side of the engine, that did look gunky, I was gonna get a new one this weekend. I just cleaned the throttle body, it was gunky too, had a thick residue, the inside of the body didn't look wet, but I will check it again. Thanks for the post.

Old 11-02-2007, 10:14 PM
varsis
Record Breaker

Looks like a PCV valve to me... Shake it and if it moves it is one.

Old 11-02-2007, 10:28 PM
blckspder

would a PCV valve be hooked up to a vacuum hose that goes to the cap that sits on top of the throttle body?

Old 11-13-2007, 11:15 AM
DAK99OTA
Amateur

I am a newbie to this board and love all the advice and questions that people share. I have a '01 4.7 Quad Cab 2wd w/85kthat has the same issue as the original post ( low oil pressure and low idle, 500 rpm;at stop lights etc. )
I am going to give cleaning the throttle body a shot, my question is how easy is this? I am somewhat mechanically inclined (change my own oil, have installed K&N cold air intake on another vehicle, replace PCV valve, etc.) I looked at my throttle body and only see two sensors hooked up to it and the throttle linkage. I don't want to get it all disassembled and then not get it reinstalled correctly, wifey would kill me, not to mention I love my truck and don't want to screw it up in any way.
If somebody could let me know how easy or difficult cleaning the TB is I would appreciate it, the throttle linkage worries me.
Last thing, I love my truck for so many reasons, but the best has to be on the inside of the door "Built with pride by the people of Dodge - Dodge City - Warren, MI ",I am one of those old school people who actually try and buy things made in the USA.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Quick Reply: low oil pressure and low idle when stopped