2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

"Clunk" from front end when cold

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2004, 05:19 PM
Ron_Heal
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Clunk" from front end when cold

I have an 04 quad cab sport (2 wheel) that is only a month old and often when the truck is cold, I will here a clunk after I start moving at slow speed. It will be one clunk after I have started moving and that's it until the next time it is cold. It doesn't do it all the time, and more often than not when I am turning. I am thinking it is the suspension, but not certain.

Has anyone had something similar? And if so, what is causing this?

Old 11-16-2004, 09:35 PM
uckhead2000
Default RE: "Clunk" from front end when cold

i have the same clunk, only when i'm backing up and the steering wheel turned. i just noticed today that there is a rubbing sound in the front end when i turn a corner. back to the dealer, i guess.

Old 11-16-2004, 10:51 PM
DakMan6704
Captain

i have noticed more front end noise in the cooler weather approaching...there are some more noises coming out...lots of creakings..and with the 5 speed, there is lots of noise when pushing the clutch in...kind of odd. maybe i will have time to make it to the dealer to have them tell me nothing....

Old 11-19-2004, 02:23 PM
04dakotaquad

I too, hear the "clunk" from the front end. I have had a 5 Star Mech listen for it, and try to find the problem, but was unsuccessful. I have learned through the year I have had it to just deal with it. It doesnt seem to be degratory, just a nuissance. If you do happen to find out the problem, please post it here, so that I can get it dealt with too.

Just for history, It happens to me whether the eng is hot or cold, all year round. Not every time I start to drive, but most every time. It happens in Drive as well as Reverse. Turning or straight driving.

The problem with it as far as a mechanic goes, is that you have to be driving to hear it. It doesnt do it sitting still, eng hot or cold. Only when you are moving.

Old 11-29-2004, 08:39 PM
theONLYr/t

I would be willing to bet that one of your upper control arms is loose. It happend to my '01 r/t. The guy I took it too drove it for 20 seconds and said he JUST did 2 previously that week with the SAME clunk sound. Let me guess, you hear it mostly when you start moving, shift into reverse, or make sharp turns at a slow speed. Once you are moving, the noise goes away. You can KINDA feel it in the steering wheel, and DEFINITLY in the floor. Yup.

Old 12-21-2004, 12:43 AM
DakotaFever

I too feel it as well, I was waiting for someone to say they felt it in the steering wheel, well fell it in all those situations as well... its like a popping /cluncking sound... so it could be a control arm loose huh?? well should I take it in... I mean its under warrenty??

Old 12-21-2004, 12:57 PM
theONLYr/t

It might not be "under warrenty" but more than likely they will look at it for free due to the simple fact that there is an unofficial recall out... They will change your ball joints for free, maybe your bushings, and tighten your control arms.
If you still have warrenty on the truck (bumper to bumper) then it will be free no matter what.

Old 12-25-2004, 01:44 AM
01 TC LXI

I had a 2002 Dakota SLT 'Plus' Quad Cab 4x2 that started making a popping sound when turning left, at low speed.

I took it in to the dealer. . . . ball joints!!!!! Pure and simple. Ball joints.

On another forum, I have read where "Moog" makes a good ball joint that can be lubed. (Factory parts have no provision. That's half of the problem.) Go this route IF the dealer won't help you. These are GREAT ball joints.

My truck made the 'clunk' when either cold, hot. . . anytime. All of this started at 21,000 miles on the odometer.

Daimler replaced both sides, upper and lower on my truck, with new and improved factory parts.

Take your truck(s) back to the dealer. Tell them that you are hearing a 'popping' sound from the front end.
Daimler- Chrysler doesn't need the same 'bad press' that Firestone got a couple of years ago.

I mean, what can they do??? Take away your Birthday?!?!?!?!? Nah.

Bottom line. . . . 4.7 L Dodge 'killed' Mustangs. Only got 10 mpg in town (Washington, DC) to and from work, babying it.
HAD to trade it in. $60.00 a week in gas. Killin' me. Had to get a little car.
Dang. . . I miss that truck!!!

Old 12-26-2004, 10:32 AM
moparturd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I traded my 2001 QC back in January because of that noise. They did replace the control arms and bushing, but the day I picked the truck up from the dealer and got it home, POW, the frontend made the noise pulling into the driveway. It's an extremely poor design for Dodge, and I'm sorry for anyone who has to live with it. The best you can do is let them try and fix it and keep a close eye on the front end.

Quick Reply: "Clunk" from front end when cold