2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Need new rubber...

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 01:15 AM
AllTerrain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need new rubber...

I have an 04 Dakota QC 4X4 with the origional Goodyear RTS tires on it. I need some new rubber before the winter. I am looking at the Firestone Destination A/T's. Are they a good tire, they seem to get good reviews? My question is my Dakota came with 265/70/16, can I put any bigger of a tire on and safely get it to look better?? I dont want rubbing or scraping when I turn.

What stat is the width of the tire and what stat is the height from rim out?? Can I go a size up or should I remain at the stock size?? Thanks

Old 11-20-2007, 01:20 AM
Chris
Record Breaker
Default RE: Need new rubber...

Search function.

Old 11-20-2007, 01:52 AM
nineighthawk
Amateur

265 is the width of the tire. 70 is the height.

Goto Discount Tire Direct or The Tire rack. They have compatibility programs. Just enter your vehicle and they will give you a list of tires that fit.
I am running Yokohama Geolanders. They are good for what I do with my truck.

Old 11-20-2007, 09:09 AM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't tryed the a/t's but had the m/t's on my jeep and loved them. my sister now has the jeep and it is in need of new tires seeing as how i abused those m/t's lol and my dad wants something less agressive for it and i told him to get those on. i haven't been home from school for 2 weeks now and it needed them by the end of the month so if he got them ill take it for a spin tonight when im home and see how they feel then let you know but i would def go with them.

Old 11-20-2007, 09:17 AM
dapirate559
Professional

if you want to go with bridgestone get the duelers. they have an aggressive look and i heard that they handle pretty well in snow and rain. i would go with the 265/75/16 its one size up and its a 32x10.5 size tire. it will fill up the wheel wells and you should have no issues when turning.

Old 11-20-2007, 05:19 PM
kjun
Professional

A buddy of mine has the Firestone Destination A/T's and is very happy with them. He runs them on his truck here in Colorado and has no issues with the snow/rain. I don't know enough about metric tire sizes but where ever you get them should be able to let you know. Just tell them you want to go bigger but no rubs. I would bet you could definitely go up plus one like dapirate says.

Here's some gee whiz infoif you are looking to save a little money. I run Futura Dakota A/T (Now called Definity Dakota) from Pep Boys. I have no idea if you have aPep Boys nearby but I am extremely happy with these. They are made by Cooper and I picked them up a few years ago for about $80-90 bucks a tire (265/70R16's). They have a tread pattern similar to the BFG AT KO's for a whole lot less. I ran them for a couple of winters now and off road some moderate trails here in Colorado with them. They have worn really well and handled great in rain/snow and on the trails. Whenever these run down, I think I will give there M/T's a shot. They look pretty cool and if they do nearly as good for me as these, I'll be happy. Just a thought.

Old 11-20-2007, 10:49 PM
imnothot02
Record Breaker

first off im sorry, those tires are terrible
second www.nokiantires.com

Old 11-21-2007, 06:57 AM
jordanu23
Professional

what you need to do is go toyour local firestone dealer and ask for mastercraft courser m/t. i hadnt her much about them but what i did hear was good. so i went and got a set of them and love them!!!!! .very nice looking tire. rides very well with low street moan. really look into them. there bout half the cost too.

check my profile i think i have a pic in there of my tires

Old 11-22-2007, 01:55 AM
AllTerrain

Ok, so I am not decided yet on new tires. If I go to a 265/75/16 will that throw off my computers at all (ABS,Gas,Speedo)?? I am looking at tires such as the Firestone Destination AT and the Toyo Open Country AT aswell as the Bridgestone Dueller AT and the BF Goodrich AT K/O. I want a semi-aggressive look like these, but I do 98% of my driving on roads. I do drive 4-5 months in rain/sleet and lots of snow!!! Any suggestions on good rubber would be appreciated!!! What is the best "all-around" tire for my applications??

Old 11-22-2007, 08:59 AM
imnothot02
Record Breaker

www.nokian.com, the extremos is what i had on my dak and now on my trailblazer, they are a bit hard to find but great all around tire, quiet on road ect..not great in deep mud, but if ur going in mud get a mud tire.

Quick Reply: Need new rubber...