2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

My last Dodge

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 03:11 PM
Chris
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: My last Dodge

Did this vibration start after the tranny service? If the driveshaft was removed and not placed back in the same position, the weight would be off center.

Old 12-30-2007, 05:15 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 167 Likes on 153 Posts

yep sounds like the frame got tweaked or something and somebody slapped in whatever they could find for parts. Thats why my dad liked my truck- it had 4 pages of CARFAX report, everything was done at the dealer, it's a well known high volume dealer, and a 20 year seasoned mechanic knows what to look for wear and tear wise.

Old 12-30-2007, 06:26 PM
YOOPER96

Virused,
There was a little low speed come and go vibration but no high speed vibration before the sevice.They replaced the front u-joint. After the service the high speed vibration appeared. I will try the re-indexing thing. I guess what I don't understand is if the D/S itself only is balanced at the factory, what differance would it make which way it is installed? Do they balance the yoke as well?

Old 12-31-2007, 03:44 PM
kjun
Professional

ORIGINAL: YOOPER96

Virused,
There was a little low speed come and go vibration but no high speed vibration before the sevice.They replaced the front u-joint. After the service the high speed vibration appeared. I will try the re-indexing thing. I guess what I don't understand is if the D/S itself only is balanced at the factory, what differance would it make which way it is installed? Do they balance the yoke as well?
I'm with you, not sure how re-indexing the shaft would make a difference if no weight was lost but I've always been told to mark a shaft before you remove it (and not just "front" and "back"). You want to mark the shaft in relation to the yoke to put it back in the same place. Alsoits one of the first steps for D/S removal in my Chiltons....

I was looking in my Chiltons and it even mentions re-indexing the D/S 180 degrees to see it that improves vibes. So it definitely has some merit. Also not sure how much you yourself want to mess with this, but there is also a section on troubleshooting D/S vibrations where you put hose clamps at certain points on the D/S to try and isolate the vibration. If you are interested in doing this yourself, it might be worth your time picking up a manual if you don't already have one.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 12-31-2007, 05:54 PM
blackDurango

Did you check the nuts/bolts at the yolk and make sure they all match and none are missing? When it comes down to it we all could tell some horror stories about one brand or another. In my experience I would have to agree Toyota has them all beat, even though I once owned a junky Celica. Problem is Toyota is WAY overpriced. $10000 bought me a whole lot more Dodge than it would a used Toyota. I figure the difference I paid for the Dodge versus a comparable Toyota willhelppay forwhat my Dodge will cost me at the parts counter. But nothings broke yet!

Old 12-31-2007, 06:45 PM
skeeter0288
Professional

keep in mind,alot of toyotas are now being made in the U.S.ther eis no guarantee on a great vehicle,even an import model.

Old 12-31-2007, 07:19 PM
YOOPER96

ORIGINAL: kjun

I'm with you, not sure how re-indexing the shaft would make a difference if no weight was lost but I've always been told to mark a shaft before you remove it (and not just "front" and "back"). You want to mark the shaft in relation to the yoke to put it back in the same place. Alsoits one of the first steps for D/S removal in my Chiltons....

I was looking in my Chiltons and it even mentions re-indexing the D/S 180 degrees to see it that improves vibes. So it definitely has some merit. Also not sure how much you yourself want to mess with this, but there is also a section on troubleshooting D/S vibrations where you put hose clamps at certain points on the D/S to try and isolate the vibration. If you are interested in doing this yourself, it might be worth your time picking up a manual if you don't already have one.

Good luck and keep us posted.
What I think I will do is take it back to the shop since it was just done. I am not sure if they marked the shaft, but tranny work is their main business so I figure they did. I will crawl around under it and look for marks. Failing that, I will look into getting the D/S balanced. No small task around here as it is a VERY rural area.

Old 12-31-2007, 07:26 PM
YOOPER96

ORIGINAL: blackDurango

Problem is Toyota is WAY overpriced. $10000 bought me a whole lot more Dodge than it would a used Toyota. I figure the difference I paid for the Dodge versus a comparable Toyota willhelppay forwhat my Dodge will cost me at the parts counter. But nothings broke yet!
AMEN TO THAT!!!!!
The prices for used toyota's is out of this world. I guess that has what has kept me from buying one so far. I will drive my Dodge for at least 2 more years. After that who know's? A lot can happen in 2 years.

Old 01-01-2008, 12:48 AM
moparman2k2
Professional

yeah, I was at that point with my 2000 where it nickel and dimed me for months but I kept if for one more year I said, and it didn't cost me anything in that last year so who knows....

Old 01-01-2008, 11:27 PM
Dodge Rules
Professional

i dont know alot about vehicles but my dad is a mechanic so he is helpful but there is one thing that i learned all vehicles made are not all perfect there are some bad ones with falties you just happened to get the one out god knows how many, and i am not just saying this because my 98 is having troubles to so i know were you are coming from.

Quick Reply: My last Dodge