2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

My last Dodge

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 09:42 PM
YOOPER96
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My last Dodge

I have been a die hard Dodge guy my whole life. I am sorry to say my '99 Dakota will be my last. This is the worst POS I have ever owned.[:'(] Replaced engine, repaired tranny, u-joints, brakes, now a terrible vibration with new tires on the truck. All in the first 6 months! I thank God I bought a warranty when I got it.Tranny shop says the drive shaft needs to be re-balanced even though there are no weights missing. How does a drive shaft unbalance all by itself? Anyway I am committed to drive this slug for a couple more years. But my next truck will be a Toyota. No wonder the U.S. auto industry is in the shape it's in. Just my 2 cents worth. I feel better now.

Old 12-28-2007, 09:59 PM
imnothot02
Record Breaker
Default RE: My last Dodge

sorry to hear, don't buy used

Old 12-28-2007, 10:05 PM
YOOPER96

Can't afford new.

Old 12-28-2007, 10:22 PM
blackDurango

ORIGINAL: imnothot02

sorry to hear, don't buy used
Sometimes it's hard to tell how the prior owner(s) treated them, and a carfax is mostly useless in my opinion. I also couldn't afford a new one, so I found one with owner history records and I crawled all over it before buying. As they say "drove it like I stole it" on the testdrive just to see if anything let go.Seems okso far.
In all fareness, I bought a Toyota celica years ago that gave me the same problems as your Dodge.Replaced the motor, tranny, rearend (it was an 84 model) and several other things before I finally gave up. Sorry to hear yourshas crapped out on you.

Old 12-28-2007, 10:50 PM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thats why I took my time and looked at alot of trucks when I bought my 99. if the previous owner beat it up, then you will be constantly fixing it..... next time take a better look at a truck and get a mechanic to check it all out before you buy it. do give dodge a bad name just because your truck is a POS.

I have 218,000kms on mine and almost all origional.

Old 12-28-2007, 10:52 PM
YOOPER96

Well I think Carfax has it's place, but it won't show everything. Mine came back clean as a whistle. Thing is the truck is very clean and shows no signs of neglect. The full size Ram I had before it was great. A belt, oil pressure sensor and brakes are all I ever did to it. Problem was it liked gas too much. If gas was still at $1.80 like when I bought it, I would have got another one.

Old 12-29-2007, 02:31 AM
5 speed
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i like how people get brainwashed into thinking buying a toyota will solve all there problems, your an idiot if you think that

Old 12-29-2007, 03:13 AM
heavyk298
Banned

I agree with 5 speed. A Toyota is just going to make it worse, but hey, its not my money.

Old 12-29-2007, 09:16 AM
kjun
Professional

They sure your vibration is the drive shaft? Ifit started with the new tires, I would check there first. Bad tire or bad balance.....

Old 12-29-2007, 11:13 AM
w9awx
Professional

I agree with much of what has been said here. Toyota isn't what it used to be. Used to be that you would never hear of problems with them. Now that isn't the case. They are having recalls and warranty and repair issues. Toyota has lost it's edge. Just goes to show you that you have to have someone other then yourself inspect you vehicle. I say someone else because it takes the emotion out of your inspection. Buying a vehicle is an emotional experience enough. I'm sorry that you had this bad experience.

Quick Reply: My last Dodge