2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

bad gas mileage!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 02:42 PM
f0x672
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: bad gas mileage!

if im not mistaken, fuel filter is part of pump assembly, cannot be serviced, unless replacing whole pump

Old 01-24-2008, 07:51 PM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, the fuel filter is part of the pump assembly, and is not seperatly serviceable.
Besides the basics listed (tire pressure, air filter, oil, etc. tune up items [spark plugs, wires, cap and rotor while your at it], and possibly oxygen sensors), the MAP sensor can have an effect. IIRC, the Chrysler fuel injection book says the feedback from the MAP sensor is a main factor in adjusting fuel useage.
Also, a bad coolant temperature sensor (I don't remember if the Gen 2's use two sensors or not [in the Gen 1's, which use the same motors, there is 1 sensor to the right [passenger side] of the upper raditor hose, which had 1 wire, and that fed the gauge; and 1 sensor to the left [drivers side] of the upper radiator hose, and that fed the computer]), if its sending incorrect readings to the PCM, the computer could think the engine isn't getting to operating temp, in which case it will use more fuel.
Also,the intake air temp sensor.
Those temp sensors are ohm-able (produce a differant ohm-range depending on temperature, I believe I posted a table some months ago).
Of course, theoretically, ifan O2 or temp sensor is bad, the PCM will tell you.

BTW, as noted before, city mileage is about on-par with what quite a few people get. I average ~12. My highway is 16-18, depending on speed. I would say 11-13//16-19 to be "normal."

Old 01-24-2008, 07:51 PM
Chris
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The fuel filter is part of the fuel pump. You have to change out the entire pump to change the filter. Tire pressure is the biggest killer of MPGs. Do not run any octane higher than what your owners manual says (which is probably 87) because you are just wasting money and building up carbon deposits. Drop in a K&N filter, do a tune-up (plugs, wire, cap and rotor), clean out your intake manifold with some SeaFoam, make sure your fan clutch isn't dragging, etc, etc, etc. Most importantly, keep your foot off of the throttle.

Old 01-24-2008, 07:59 PM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: virused

The fuel filter is part of the fuel pump. You have to change out the entire pump to change the filter.
Little late there guy, gosh, way to be on top of things.

ORIGINAL: virused

make sure your fan clutch isn't dragging
+1. Forgot about that (suprize).

Old 01-24-2008, 08:25 PM
SmokedRail07
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put a lighter oil in my truck. It was 10w-30 now I have amsoil 5w-30 and getting an extra 4 mpg!!!! plus its better for me to have a lighter oil since I live in cold MI
Yes this does help too. Very important as well as tire pressure.

Quick Reply: bad gas mileage!