2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Oil pressure problem.

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 11:48 PM
shane_slone2000
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil pressure problem.

About a month ago i changed the oil when i got the truck... 4cyl calls for 4 quarts.... so i put it...10w-40. when i checked dip, it appreared over.
So i drained the oil, ands replaced with 4 quarts of 10w-30 and added a new oil filter (reason for 2nd oil change)
After about a week of driving, the oil pressure drops when driving, but is fine when idleing.
I checked the dip and it showed NO oil....
So i added a quart... fixed the pressure problem....but still shows no oil on stick....truck runs fine tho!
Please help me if you can, i am completely baffled as to what could be the cause.

Old 02-06-2008, 11:56 PM
batman13
Grand Champion
Default RE: Oil pressure problem.

add oil 1/2 quart at a time until it shows up on the stick, then look for a leak

Old 02-07-2008, 12:19 AM
shane_slone2000

i searched for a leak all over... cant find!
It doesnt show up on dipstick, but oil pressure is fine...and engine runs fine....should i still continue to add oil?
Also i was wondering... would it be okay to drive the truck to school in the morning as long as it remains in good pressure? or not?

Old 02-07-2008, 12:32 AM
Chris
Record Breaker

Have you seen any spots of oil under the truck? Make sure you removed the rubber o-ring off of the new oil filter. To do this, you will have to do the oil change over again, but after your original post, it doesn't sound like a bad idea. If you removed the origianl oil filter as quickly as it sounds, the rubber gasket probably stuck to the block. This would cause a double gasket, which can lead to excessive oil loss and/or loss of the filter completely (it falling off of your truck).

Old 02-07-2008, 12:40 AM
spencea15
Record Breaker

with my 3.9L I left the old oil filter gasket on and put on the new oil filter. Anyway It started to spray oil so i turned off the engine. The oil pressure never droped. I fixed the problem put in a quart and ran the engine and oil pressure was fine but I was 2 quarts low on a 4 quart capasity. So just because you have oil preasure does not mean you have enough oil.

I only that was the only problem i had the day changing oil.

Old 02-07-2008, 12:44 AM
varsis
Record Breaker

Umm, that doesn't sound good at all check your coolant. You might have a blown head gasket and now all your oil is in the coolant luckily you don't have any in your engine yet.
Check that thats my idea.

Old 02-07-2008, 12:47 AM
turbot_bird
Record Breaker

ya, check the coolent for milky oil, it could also be going into the cyl. Is it smoking? even though the oil pressure is up you want the oil to be on the crosshatch on the dipstick

Old 02-07-2008, 12:48 AM
Chris
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: varsis

Umm, that doesn't sound good at all check your coolant. You might have a blown head gasket and now all your oil is in the coolant luckily you don't have any in your engine yet.
Check that thats my idea.
If that was the problem he would have coolant in the oil and vice versa.

Old 02-07-2008, 06:05 AM
dragon8master
Professional

Yeah, anyway, as far as the reason for keeping the oil full as indicated on the dipstick; itis because this gives you somewhat of a reserve of oil that cools slightly before it is ran through the engine again if that make sense to you. If you've got just enough oil in the engine to maintain oil pressure, it is going right back up into the hot engine block before it gets a chance to cool off any at all. Car manufacturers are starting to figure out how to take advantage of this 'cooling off' by using higher capacity aluminum oil pans with fins on them like an air cooled engine would have, so as air passes under the vehicle it pulls the radiated heat from the pan and helps cool the oil, resulting in a more reliable, longer lastingengine with more consistant power.

In a nut shell, keep the oil level at just the top edge of that cross-hatch, or at the top hole on the dipstick, and check it at least once a week.

By the way, I've spent about 3 years of my life changing oil on a daily basis as part of my job, so feel free to email me any ?s on the subject. I could go on all day here about the little things that are part of a proper oil change.

Old 02-08-2008, 12:22 AM
shane_slone2000

Hey guys...thanks alot for all the help, but it turned out to be simply a loose oil filter.
Today i changed the oil again and took the oil filter off, no double o-ring, but it was a little loose. I re-installed it with alot more pressure this time and re-filled with oil, and have been on 2 drives and no problems and its holding oil good, according to the stick.
I have another ? though... i am about run some seafoam through.. but i have no idea where to pour it? i think i read maybe the brake vacuum line or something? could someone please explain where exactly this is? Thanks alot

Quick Reply: Oil pressure problem.