2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Air Bag Control Module

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 11:19 PM
barkersm
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Bag Control Module

My Air Bag Light is on, had it in to the dealer recently for some work and he said that it's the air bag control module. Didn't have them replace it because he wanted 600 bucks to do it. Went to autozone to get the part, and the guy there told me that it may have to be reprogrammed or "Flashed" by the computer dealers hook up to the vehicle. Does it need that, or can I just replace the Module myself and be good to go?

Old 02-19-2008, 01:02 PM
lone_wolfin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Air Bag Control Module

Old 02-19-2008, 10:37 PM
00DakR/T
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The airbag module does not have to be flashed for a dakota/durango. There would be some cases like in caravans for example that had the option of side air bags, but yours should not have to be. If you get the module and put it in and the airbag light does not go out, then you can carry it to your dealer. Do you have any other symptoms? Its alittle unusual to have a bad airbag module. Typically the clockspring will go out in these things and the horn won't work and the steering wheel radio controls wont work.

Old 02-19-2008, 10:58 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 98 Likes on 83 Posts

The air bag module is on the PCI bus and can be program, But on the other hand if you are replacing the CTM ( central timing module ) then you would need to program it. If you do replace the air bag module, be sure disconnect the battery for 2 mins. If you don't disconnect the battery you may deploy the air bags.

Quick Reply: Air Bag Control Module