2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Rear Differential Problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 11:54 PM
big.bryant
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Differential Problems

I have just had my 80K mile service performed on my truck. They took off the rear differential cover to re-seal it and they found metal chunks (about a square centimeter) floating around in there. It doesnt appear to be the teeth of the gears or anything and i have heard of it maybe being the clamp that holds my driveshaft into the differential. It is a 2001 quad cab w/ the 5 speed and 4x4. Please let me know if this sort of thing has happend to anybody else and what it was that caused the problem. Thanks

Old 03-05-2008, 07:53 AM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Rear Differential Problems

if you have the limited slip rear their is a clip or something that shears off i believe which causes the metal chunks. it will continue to work but will eventually start to wear out. i know there is more info but haven't read about it lately. i think it occurs with the limited slip whether its the 8.25 or 9.25 but im not sure if the problem is with both. im sure if you did a search you could find more info on it till someone else has more to add.

Old 03-05-2008, 08:38 AM
ricbrk
Professional

You would think that a highly trained technician findingchunks of steel in a rear endwould know what to look for to find the origination. Especially when this appears to be an ongoing problem withcertain rear ends. It also surprises me that they would even allow you to take the truck out of the shop without signing a liability waiver, so if and when your rear end falls apart going 60 mph down the road, they could say we told you so. Mystearlership makes great attempts to find anything and everything wrong when I go there, and charges me way more than the job should cost. It wouldn't upset me so much if they actually fixed what was wrong, but that usually isn't the case. If I was you, I would find an independent garage with a good reputation to check it out properly. You may also want to look at a manual to seewhat pieces it may be. I agree with pitkanen about the clip. It is a problem. Curiously, how much did they charge you to "not" fix it ?

Old 03-05-2008, 11:11 AM
moe7404
Record Breaker

moe in wichita ks
if you donthave a rear end expert in your town, go the magazine rack at the store and find a 4x4 mag it will have lots of rear end people in it. i do know that the old 7 1/4 rear ends would break the spider gears even if you didnt mistreat them. but i think mopar doesnt even make them anymore.

No trees were harmed in the generation of this email, but a significant
number of electrons were severely challenged.

Old 03-05-2008, 11:19 AM
spencea15
Record Breaker

Ok both 8.25 and 9.25 with limited slips and not taken care of will have problems. When the rearend went on my truck at 52k 2 bearing sets(or what ever the bearing rides in is called) and 1 bearing where trashed. The rear diff. had never been serviced before.

Old 03-05-2008, 11:57 AM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion

ORIGINAL: pitkanen44flyers

if you have the limited slip rear their is a clip or something that shears off i believe which causes the metal chunks. it will continue to work but will eventually start to wear out. i know there is more info but haven't read about it lately. i think it occurs with the limited slip whether its the 8.25 or 9.25 but im not sure if the problem is with both. im sure if you did a search you could find more info on it till someone else has more to add.

I had the same problem. I changed my rear diff fluid just after I bought it. and found that lil clip sitting in the bottom of the diff. so I towed it to a tranny shop, and 1k later she was all fixed. I need a whole new carrier since it ground down into it.

Old 03-05-2008, 12:16 PM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker

yeah i plan on doing my rear diff fluid sometime once it gets warm out and im hoping i dont find those pieces.[&:]

Old 03-05-2008, 11:17 PM
big.bryant
Champion

the shop just called me and my truck is done. i work at a dealership so i got a decent price of only $621 but im not all the way certain what went wrong. i will find out when i go and pick up my truck tomarrow from the shop and will let you know what exactly had to be replaced. does this sort of clip thing happen to a lot of people or is it a relatively uncommon occurance. also is there any sort of recall out for this?

Old 03-05-2008, 11:24 PM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker

its a relatively common occurance i'd say i dont believe there is a recall for it maybe a tsb but it seems to be a pretty large problem with the limited slip units.

Old 03-06-2008, 08:42 PM
big.bryant
Champion

so they told me that they had to replace the clutch unit in the LSD and when that broke up is what caused the chunks to be in there. and if it is a common occurance, Dodge should deff. put out a recall/ tsb

Quick Reply: Rear Differential Problems