2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

o1 dak c.a.i vs drop in

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 01:36 AM
scandal669
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: o1 dak c.a.i vs drop in

what is the advantage to replacing the factory hose from the air hat to the box with an abs pipe?

i think my idea of having a hose go from the air box and straight out the grill is better than routing a hose all the way down thru the fender and out behind the fog light. its only about 1 foot of hose and it goesvirtually straightinto the air box rather than a twisted hose that is about 3 feet long...just my opinion.

also the foam filters have the worst air flow, even paper filters are alot better.

An average foam filter will flow 4.38 cfm/sq-in. A good paper filter will flow 4.95 cfm/sq-in. An oiled cotton gauze (K&N) will flow 6.03 cfm/sq-in.

Old 03-09-2008, 10:21 AM
rtkota5point9
All Star

Adding more air flow on our truck does not add more fuel. Our trucks (unlike GM and Ford, and a handful of other Chryslers) use a MAP sensor, not a MAF sensor. Because of this it cannot tell how much air is actually flowing through the intake. It can only base it's fuel amounts off the pressure at the manifold, which wouldn't change with more airflow.

So I think your loss in MPG is because subconciously you're heavier into the gas because of your new "performance" mod. Give it time and I'm sure you'll notice a slight increase in MPG overall.

And the reason most CAI's don't perform as well as just a drop in is for 2 reasons. Most CAI's use a metal tube. Although less restrictive, they are more prone to heat soak. Hotter air temps means less power. And most CAI's place the filter IN the engine bay which increases the air temp even more. Even with a heat shield, it's still in the engine bay. You need to get the inlet OUTSIDE the engine bay for it to have any effect. That's why the factory intake grabs air from the fender.

I'm fabbing up a new intake out of 4" metal pipe really soon, but to try and help with heat soak I'm having it cermaic coated. My filter is also placed behind the foglight, so I'll get some nice ambient temp air to work from. I don't have the option to put my inlet in the opening to the grill anyways since my intake is on the opposite side of the engine bay than most of you.

Old 03-09-2008, 10:35 PM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: scandal669

what is the advantage to replacing the factory hose from the air hat to the box with an abs pipe?

i think my idea of having a hose go from the air box and straight out the grill is better than routing a hose all the way down thru the fender and out behind the fog light. its only about 1 foot of hose and it goesvirtually straightinto the air box rather than a twisted hose that is about 3 feet long...just my opinion.

also the foam filters have the worst air flow, even paper filters are alot better.

An average foam filter will flow 4.38 cfm/sq-in. A good paper filter will flow 4.95 cfm/sq-in. An oiled cotton gauze (K&N) will flow 6.03 cfm/sq-in.
the reason i dont want the straight out the front thing is rain or water getting in and it will make your filter dirty a lot faster than it would behind the fog light or in the fender. either way will work because they're not pulling the hot air from the engine compartment in so i guess its a matter of opinion and what you have the tools to make happen.

Old 03-10-2008, 08:56 AM
ckbusmech.

That is what im doing,runing a piece of 3inch flex straight out the front and using everthing else from the factory,why fab something thats allready in place.k/n drop in

Old 03-10-2008, 10:16 AM
ckbusmech.

In responce;I have not changed my driveing style,im 46 not 18 and I went with the drop in because of what you decussed,everthing eles is still fac.the only thing i may do is use a piece of flex to get air straight from the front but i will wait untill the computor learns the change in the filter.if u dont wait you will be chasing the unknown.thanks 4 your input.

Old 03-11-2008, 04:20 AM
scandal669
Veteran

that is exactly what i did and it worked out great for me. i havent had a problem with water getting in or extra dirty filters either. and did notice a pretty good increase in power.

Old 03-11-2008, 04:24 AM
scandal669
Veteran

is the scoop on your hood functional? that would be cool to get air thru that.

Quick Reply: o1 dak c.a.i vs drop in