2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

torsion bar keys

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 10:05 PM
raiders98
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a completely stock 99 dakota sport 2wd...Are you guys saying I can lift my truck 2" for free?

Old 09-01-2008, 10:55 PM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

im pretty sure you can only do it on the 4x4's and yes you will/should get it aligned right away im sure theres guys that will say you dont have to but if i ever do this its going right to the alignment shop to save my tires and suspension parts

Old 09-08-2008, 11:49 AM
forumpete
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sure I'm repeating what's already been addressed but let me make sure. You guys are saying I shouldn't buy these 2-3" torsion key leveling kits, that I should just crank up my torsion bars and throw some blocks out back? My truck ('04 1500 4x4) sits pretty level stock I just want a little extra clearance.
Thanks!

Old 09-08-2008, 12:03 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Some swear that there is a difference in how "tight" the front end feels based on whether you crank or get the keys. I went straight to a suspension lift, then cranked a hair, maybe 1/2" at most just to allow for a little sagging due to the weight that my next mod (grill, brush guards & winch) would put on the front.
However, I've cranked or helped crank the t-bars on two of my friends' trucks. An '04 4.7 4x4 and an '05 Hemi 4x4. Both up to level, about 2", maybe 2 1/4" at most. One guy loves it and has it like this to this day (about 2 years), the other hated how stiff the front end was and paid a shop to un-crank and install keys, after I told him he was wasting his money, it'd be the same result.
To this day, he swears that the front end, although stiffer than stock, is not near as stiff as when I cranked it for him. I think it's either in his head or he doesn't want to admit I was right.
So, you be the judge, however, which ever way you go, get an alignment.

Quick Reply: torsion bar keys