2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Alarm and remote start kit.

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 12:34 PM
sHiNdIg
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alarm and remote start kit.

I am looking for an alarm system for my 2004. And was thinking that I just aswell get a remote start aswell for the colder months.

Anybody have any suggestions on a decent alarm/start system?

Something with a pager would be nice.

Old 03-24-2008, 05:57 PM
imnothot02
Record Breaker
Default RE: Alarm and remote start kit.

ive done 3 of these now, i love em... http://www.ecarsecurity.com/Galaxy-5...0rs-2w-2fm.htm

Old 03-25-2008, 12:00 AM
hkusp40

Or if you want one a little cheaper...
http://www.audiovox.com/webapp/wcs/s...&langId=-1
My dakota has one of these installed. It came with the truck so i dont know how difficult they are to install. mine looks like it was installed by a pro...or at least someone that knows what they're doing.
Ive seen them around the net for under $100.

The only problem i have with mine is, every once in a while it will churp for no reason. Im thinking the sensativety needs to be adjusted but i havent messed it much..and of course the manuel doesnt tell you chit!

Old 03-25-2008, 12:16 AM
ricbrk
Professional

I have used Bulldog alarms, and remote starters on my vehicles for years with a lot of luck. They offer an optionalt-harness installation system which alleviates a lot of the wire splicing.

http://www.trucktoys4less.com/de62prrestan.html

Old 03-25-2008, 07:43 AM
imnothot02
Record Breaker

oh, yes i should have noted that if you arnt good with wiring then get a bulldog, the galaxy alarms arnt DIY if you arnt comfortable splicing and soldering...

bulldog alarms..they work, may lite ur truck on fire but easy to install...

Old 03-25-2008, 08:42 AM
ricbrk
Professional

LOL, I have been using Bulldog systems for years, no operating problems, no fires. Everyone has their favorite products. We have also installed the galaxy unit, and it isn't that hard if you follow instructions. A popular accessory on that unit is the strobe function. We normally drill the headlight housing, and back up light housing and use 60 watt strobes with a relay adapter that works with their strobe flash add on. I guess you could spend all kind of money if you want to, but unless your Dakota is pretty tricked out, a basic unit is all you need. If they want it, they'll get it. sHiNdIg, make your own decision. imnothot02, I just love your posts, those honey's in your caption photo have some nice headlights. [sm=loveeyes.gif]

Old 03-25-2008, 02:35 PM
rtkota5point9
All Star

Bull-dog<>Bull-****...coincidence? I think not. And I hate those T-harnesses. They make such a loose connection that they either unplug, don't work right, or arch from the loose connection and melt from the heat.

Do you have a black or gray key? Black key you're all set, Gray key you'll need to bypass the anti-theft in your truck for the remote start function to work.

Old 03-25-2008, 08:49 PM
imnothot02
Record Breaker

oh and dont use twist lock or ne of that bs solder EVERYTHING and heat shrink... i hate butt connectors and that crap, for a stereo they are ok, however on somthing that if it comes loose that could disable my car, id rather do it rite..

my .02 from experence..

Old 03-25-2008, 08:51 PM
sHiNdIg

Hmmm... was kind of leaning towards the T-harness for ease of installation but I not interest in arching or a fire.

I have a grey key. Much trouble to do a bypass? A remote start is not a big deal, just something nice to have for the colder months, especially now when we are getting freezing rain..

Alarm is the main thing.

Quick Reply: Alarm and remote start kit.