2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

MSD

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 11:13 AM
cleverusername
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MSD

I finally have the MSD ignition, blaster 2 coil and wires all set up and running GREAT on my truck. Im getting ready to change out my plugs and am looking for suggestions. I hear the autolites talked up a lot and am willing to give them a shot. What I need to do is find a colder heat range and they also suggest gapping them further apart. Has anybody had any experience with this and know what plug/heat range/gap works well with the MSD. I payed for it, now I want the most out of it.

thanks

Old 03-30-2008, 03:26 AM
cleverusername
Rookie
Default RE: MSD

so why hasn't anybody responded to this? did i post this in the wrong forum? i've seen a lot of posts about spark plugs and what not, and people sounding like they know what they are talking about, but either they don't or it just comes down to personal prefrence. i suppose any furter questions will be easy ones that everybody can chime in on and give their 2 cents.

Old 03-30-2008, 09:54 AM
varsis
Record Breaker

I think it might be because not many people have MSD. Thats the problem...

Old 03-30-2008, 10:02 AM
JasonA
Veteran

You might ask MSD what they recommend...and then do some research. What are the stock plugs on your truck? Usually, the manufacturer builds the heat range into the part number scheme somehow. If MSD recommends one heat range colder, then you'll have to contact the plug manufacturer and find out what is the next heat range down in that same plug design. MSD will also have to give you guidance on enlarging the gap. This is MSD's product -- they should have done the R&D and they should be in a position to tell you how to make the most use of it.

Good luck, and let us know what they say, for future reference.

Old 03-30-2008, 02:35 PM
wink2873
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

autolite 3923's gapped at .045

Old 03-31-2008, 07:00 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

watch out for the MSD overloading the thyristor
that drives the ignition coil current and 'frying' it.

Because this thyristor is inside your PCM computer
if it dies
you will have to buy an expensive new PCM

Old 03-31-2008, 10:35 AM
cleverusername
Rookie

thanks for the replys and insight. all i got from MSD was generic instructions and recommendations. i honestly didn't think about contacting them, that should have been the first thing i did. im a dummy, so now that i put that out there, you can't hold it against me. i'll check with them and see if they have done any further research. i'll let you know what i find out. thanks again for your help.