2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

ELECTRIC FAN

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 10:33 AM
lone_wolfin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ELECTRIC FAN

I elimated my mechanical fan and
I switched to a 2 speed fan from a 5.0 litre mustang...

If it can cool a 5.0, it can cool a 4.7 dakota

Old 04-11-2008, 12:03 PM
klings designs
Captain

When you take off the clutch fan, i take it the pully isnt connected to the clutch fan?

Old 04-11-2008, 03:05 PM
scandal669
Veteran

is it true that an electric fan helps with mileage? i have a clutch fan right now...

Old 04-11-2008, 04:21 PM
klings designs
Captain

I have been told it helps with mileage...

Old 04-11-2008, 05:19 PM
JBs DAK
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For one thing,.. 1600CFM is nothing. If that's all your using yep,
your gonna run warm. You need up around 3000 to 4500 CFM to stay
nice and cool. (Running the air, sitting in traffic, 90+ degree heat.
If you take the Mech-fan off your gonna free up HP. (Maybe 2 to 4hp).
Make more room in your bay, Why take off the Mechanical fan?

Old 04-11-2008, 11:14 PM
00DakR/T
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is true that you will get somewhat better mileage with removing the clutch fan. I can say that I wouldn't use an el-cheapo from the local parts house if you are just running electric. Get a good quality fan like Flex-a-lite. Their Black Magic fan is awesome and thats all I would use, but at around $200-300 its not real cheap.

As a side note, has anybody here used SoCalDakota's Viper fan kit? I had thought about using it, but I wanted to get some opinions before I go and get a $400 fan

Old 04-12-2008, 02:27 AM
User
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: klings designs

When you take off the clutch fan, i take it the pully isnt connected to the clutch fan?
ORIGINAL: klings designs

No the pulley is not connected to the clutch fan, the pulley has a thread on it look at my picture that i posted you can see it sticking out, you just have to put somthing in the pulley to not let it spin while you turn the clutch fan bolt counter clockwise and it will pop off.. or you can rent a tool from a shop and remove it easy.. the pulley doesnt have to come off..

ORIGINAL: scandal669

is it true that an electric fan helps with mileage? i have a clutch fan right now...
Yes, removing the clutch fan increases HP and it also frees up your water pump, and gives you more room to play with in the Bay.

ORIGINAL: JBs DAK

For one thing,.. 1600CFM is nothing. If that's all your using yep,
your gonna run warm. You need up around 3000 to 4500 CFM to stay
nice and cool. (Running the air, sitting in traffic, 90+ degree heat.
If you take the Mech-fan off your gonna free up HP. (Maybe 2 to 4hp).
Make more room in your bay, Why take off the Mechanical fan?

I saw a gain of more then 5hp removing the clutch fan, not only does it give you hp, it also frees up the water pump allowing it to last longer and run better, it also allows you yo have more room in the engine bay, when your worried about having a nice bay its a good mod, i hate that thing, and with a 180 stat here in texas my temp never goes past the 2nd notch never gets up to 210 mark even in sitting traffic..

ORIGINAL: 00DakR/T

It is true that you will get somewhat better mileage with removing the clutch fan. I can say that I wouldn't use an el-cheapo from the local parts house if you are just running electric. Get a good quality fan like Flex-a-lite. Their Black Magic fan is awesome and thats all I would use, but at around $200-300 its not real cheap.

As a side note, has anybody here used SoCalDakota's Viper fan kit? I had thought about using it, but I wanted to get some opinions before I go and get a $400 fan
you can find other fans that work just fine, the only thing about those fans is that they are ready for you to install with the relays and switches ready to go. otherwise your going to have to wire your own switches and get your own relays for the hi and low speeds ect.. its a kit. Sam is a good guy, ive bought some stuff from him.

Quick Reply: ELECTRIC FAN