2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Engine hesitates when accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 07:29 PM
KodiakJeff5
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine hesitates when accelerating

Howdy everyone. I've got a 2004 Dak quad-cab with the 4.7 in it. I recently added the K&N CAI and since then, I've got this really irritating hesitation when I apply gas from a stop. It hasn't died on me yet but it feels like it might be a spark timing issue or maybe it's getting too much fuel. Not sure what the problem is but it sure is aggravating. Any thoughts on what might be causing this?
Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 04-03-2008, 08:06 PM
moe7404
Record Breaker
Default RE: Engine hesitates when accelerating

moe in wichita ks
try putting itback stock. thats my 2 cs

Old 04-03-2008, 08:07 PM
varsis
Record Breaker

TPS could be going too or something. Maybe check your o2 sensors while your at it.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:54 PM
KodiakJeff5

TPS? Is that the throttle position sensor? I'm a retired USCG Avionics Tech but I'm no mechanic.
Change the oil? No problem.
Rotate tires? No problem.
I can handle the basic stuff but I'm not that familiar with all the mechanical lingity. Sorry. I'll try to catch up.
Anyway, that's two folks now that have recommended checking the O2 sensor(s). Reading through some other threads, I noticed lots of folks talking about them and referencing two, a pre-cat and a post-cat sensor. Should I check them both?
Also, is there a chance that I could have dicked up the sensor that I had to drill a hole for in the CAI?
I really appreciate the help! Thanks!

Old 04-03-2008, 10:00 PM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yep thats what the tps is and that would be my guess to. when i first got my truck last april it would hesistate and studder while cruising down the highway so i knew it wasn't just a noob at driving stick which i already new how to do to. mine was a combination of the tps and the ecm or pcm basically the computer was shot. had them both replaced under the 3 month warrenty id do the tps first tho because the steam clean they gave the engine is what fried the computer.

Old 04-03-2008, 10:12 PM
KodiakJeff5

That's good-to-know stuff. Thanks.
I had to have the TPS replaced on a 2001 Ram that I used to own. Took the stealership two seperate visits to figure it out. The first visit was while the truck was still under warranty. The second trip, about a year later, they discovered that the TPS was bad. Guess who had to pay to replace it?... I'll give you a hint: It wasn't Anchorage Chrysler/Dodge...
The prob was that I live on an island in the Gulf of Alaska and you never get to drive over 55 mph and that's when the problem manifested itself. Never knew there was a problem with the TPS until I put the truck on the ferry to the mainland and got on the highway. It would buck at any speed over 65 mph. What a drag!
Anyway, thanks for the info.

Old 04-04-2008, 07:05 AM
JBs DAK
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could be the TPS but, you said it happened AFTER you installed the K&N filter.
My bet is you over-oiled it. I would clean your Thoddle-Body 1st.
Use THODDLE-BODY cleaner, NOT, Carb-Cleaner. Then, see what happens.

Old 04-04-2008, 11:00 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 224 Likes on 209 Posts

I would clean the TPS (DIY writeup thread has a link) and set the voltage on it to .70~.75 volts at idle... (drill out the rivits & manualy adjust it with a meter. that should fix it. I bet its on the low side (.6v or so).

Quick Reply: Engine hesitates when accelerating