2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Getting water in the HVAC ducting...

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 01:23 PM
Mickey_Moose
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting water in the HVAC ducting...

Hi,

Obviously I am new here- not sure why I did not look for a forum on my truck sooner...

Anyways, hopefully someone here can help - I have a 2003 Dakota Quad that is having a problem with the heater fan not working. After pulling the resistor pack out it was noticed that water has gotten in (and still is) the duct work. This water has worked it way into the resistor pack's connector and corroded the connections.

Now I will pick up a new resistor pack and hopefully new connector/pins and install them, but the question is how is the water getting in there? Is there a drain that could be plugged? It does not look like there is a lot of water getting in (from what I see), but enough to create a problem. The cover that holds the pack in the duct had some water standing in it.

Any suggestions welcomed.

Old 04-23-2008, 06:43 PM
moe7404
Record Breaker
Default RE: Getting water in the HVAC ducting...

moe in wichita ks
check the ign switch. somtimes the contacts for the heater burn out. thats why you should turn the heater system off with the heater switch, before you turn off the ign swicth. same with a microwave, turn it off with the button not the door.

Old 04-24-2008, 12:31 PM
Mickey_Moose

ORIGINAL: moe7404
moe in wichita ks
check the ign switch. somtimes the contacts for the heater burn out. thats why you should turn the heater system off with the heater switch, before you turn off the ign swicth. same with a microwave, turn it off with the button not the door.
Thanks for the reply, however I am fairly sure that the contacts for the packburned because of the corrosion due to the water.

Anyone know where I can buy just the pins in the connector? I looked at a few different places with no luck (everyone sells GM pin but no Dodge???). I also checked with a local dealer and they will sell me a complete kit with a whole mess of wiring for ~$100 (yikes) - don't need at that when I can just crimp new ends on (the kit did not include separate pin either, they were already attached to the wiring).

Old 04-26-2008, 02:41 PM
kchopper

More than likely the water iscoming in from the evaparator drain tube. When it's coming out of the tube it's running back in underneath the tube. There should be a TSB on it.

Quick Reply: Getting water in the HVAC ducting...