2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Let's talk mods gentlemen....

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 03:30 PM
chris1974
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Let's talk mods gentlemen....

How much have you guys (and gals) spent on all of your mods???

What is the best mod that you added to your Dak, and why???

If you had $4000.00 to spend on mods, but needed a life saving surgery or you would die in 5 years, would you buy a supercharger like i would??? lol.

(ok..the last question was stupid...but how bout the first two???)

Old 04-24-2008, 06:25 PM
varsis
Record Breaker
Default RE: Let's talk mods gentlemen....

ORIGINAL: chris1974

How much have you guys (and gals) spent on all of your mods???

What is the best mod that you added to your Dak, and why???

If you had $4000.00 to spend on mods, but needed a life saving surgery or you would die in 5 years, would you buy a supercharger like i would??? lol.

(ok..the last question was stupid...but how bout the first two???)
A bigger engine drop!

The best thing would be to make a plan, if you want to run like Nitrous or a S/C. First I would do the external mods like Intake, Throttle body, exhaust, electric fan. Next step would be either buying a new built up engine, or getting yours rebuilt very good. If you want to put some power, a stroker, forged pistons, forged crank, Polished ported heads ect.... List runs on for a very long time, but best bet is to just save your money and Maybe to find the direction do the above steps, which you could do just as easily all at the same time. Once you have a game plan, save, and save. Get what direction you want to go in to get done, I say while your in there, might as well do it all. Get it all completely... done. It will make your money worth more while like that. That way you wont be tearing an engine apart like 5 times.

Old 04-24-2008, 08:37 PM
wink2873
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have probably spent about 1000$ on mods for my truck in total over the years. I think without a doubt the best mods I have done would be the combo of a v8 TB and the stage one intake manifold from hughes. They dont provide much low end but the truck SCREAMS above 2500 rpms. It is still pulling hard at 4800 when it shifts so I would like to get an SCT tune and raise the shift points to about 5200. I have a feeling when I swap to H.S. 1.7 rockers in the near future they will provide a nice gain too. I would also like to swap to 4:10's and an Auburn LSD, but that would probably cost over 1,000$ for a professional installation.

Old 04-25-2008, 10:34 AM
chris1974
Veteran

yeah..i would definatly have to say the intake and cams were the best for me. I did an overwhelming amount of research before i did it to make sure that the mod was worth while. I was expecting pretty good gains, but was blown away by how hard this thing pulls in the mid to upper RPMs.

I would really like to get a programmer or custom flash, but I find conflicting storys about weither or not the truck will "learn" its way around the changes. So idk....maybe now that i have the top end opened up a little, i can do headers or something.

Old 04-25-2008, 01:54 PM
Loud Pedal
The Total Package

umm the best modwas a strait pipe witha super high flow cat (catless) lol adn dual rolled edge tips stainless its loud and the truck is so much more responsive. that cost like 3 bucks for the tubing
and 20" rims

my truck came with:
throttle body spacer
5 window visors
20"rims 601 AR wheels
exhaust
custom CAI
LED all around the interior
hyper light green headlights
snap on bed cover
10" P2D2 rockford subz with a 325.1 amp

Old 04-25-2008, 02:16 PM
kjun
Professional

2002 QC, 4.7 4x4. So far spent about $700 for.....grill guard (primarily cosmetic) KCs, front receiver, winch plate, winch, and CB. Great mods for me because I love heading into the mountains for a little offroading. Future (wishful) mods include rock rails, new bumpers, and sun roof (if doable).

I was a little lucky. I bought the truck used and she already had the K&N intake, V-Force exhaust, and Jet performance chip.

Old 04-25-2008, 02:33 PM
scandal669
Veteran

i havent spent much at all on mine...mostly just maintainance stuff...

but if i had $4000 to spend, id do an engine rebuild with a few perfomance parts, but keep it reliable. rebuild the tranny and rearend, a good exhaust system, shocks,brakes and alignment, tires, tonneau, window tint...

i know that seems like alot for only $4000, but i shop wisely, and after all that my truck would be basicly like new again with all new running gear. i know people can do a great job on a budget and almost totally redo a vehicle that will last years.

it would also be cheaper to go this route than buying a new truck.

Old 04-25-2008, 02:46 PM
rpowell
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah I haven't spent much on mine either. My truck was purchased (used) with K&N and a Flowmaster 1-in 2-out and came from the factory w/oil cooler, tranny cooler, tow package, heavy duty service package (or something like that) and a bunch of other stuff so I got really blessed. I put nerf-bars $210, changed tranny filter & fluid w/syn & changed diff fluids $100, put new shocks $130 for 4 (got a good deal), made my own intake tube $30, removed the clutch fan $0 (1 busted knuckle) and got a used Superchips on Ebay for like $200. I want to add high flow cat, tonneau, bed extender and Super Springs for the rear.

Old 04-25-2008, 10:21 PM
Timmae

ive got to say about $2000 for my 03' 4.7 sport. mainly for exterior cosmetics, new road armor front bumper (biggest chunk of that$2k) some 275/75/r16 goodyear workhorses, a flowmaster 40 series exhaust.and just bought one of those tornado fuel savers. hopefully it helps a smidge on my mpgs. looking at around another grand towards engine goodies though.

Old 04-25-2008, 11:36 PM
scandal669
Veteran

did that tornado thing do any good? i have seen and heard they do nothing and area waste of money

Quick Reply: Let's talk mods gentlemen....