2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

to much oil???

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 12:39 PM
trjnrstlr07
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default to much oil???

my buddy constatly puts new oil in his truck I tell him to go drain it then do it like a dumb *** he doesnt... so any ways question is does haveing to much oil hurt your gas milage and what else can having to much oil cause harm to he just got his truck and is worried about cracking the heads I assume thanx

Old 05-01-2008, 02:20 PM
wink2873
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: to much oil???

yea he's pretty much an idiot, tell him to keep the oil level in the "safe" on the dipstick. Putting too much oil in the engine can cause it to blow out every gasket, bearing and seal in the engine.

Old 05-01-2008, 04:24 PM
JasonA
Veteran

Too much oil will cause increased drag and the crank will aerate the oil causing cavitation (oil starvation). If his truck uses that much oil, so that he has to add a quart every month, then that might be one thing. As long as the oil is within the acceptable range on the dipstick.

Old 05-02-2008, 12:25 AM
trjnrstlr07
Rookie

Cool I showed him ur replys he freaked thanx

Old 05-02-2008, 10:01 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

even if a truck uses a lot of oil, its still a bad idea to just keep pouring in new oil w/o ever draining the old.

example - a guy a work was doing that, and claiming that he always kept it full, so what was the harm... well the motor blew up and they dropped the pan to look and the pan had several inches of solid sludge in the bottom. so - yes he had a "full" oil reading, but he only had a couple quarts of actual oil and a badly sludged up pickup. since he never actually drained it and poured in 5 qts, he had no idea how much actual oil he had.

Old 05-03-2008, 06:56 AM
JasonA
Veteran

ORIGINAL: dhvaughan

even if a truck uses a lot of oil, its still a bad idea to just keep pouring in new oil w/o ever draining the old.
Well yeah, of course you still want to do regular oil changes. The original question was "will too much oil cause harm to the engine", and I was just pointing out that if he's burning a LOT of oil, he might be able to top it off with a quart every few weeks and it may never actually be overfilled. But yeah, you still need to drain it and change the filter regularly.

By the way, under normal circumstances, and given proper drain intervals, nothing is better for engine oil than to get a fresh quart every now and then. It replentishes a lot of the corrosion inhibitors and additives in the oil, and will help to maintain viscosity over time. A lot of people think it's a "bad" thing if your enigne uses a quart every few thousand miles. But in reality, you're not only getting fresh oil in there every few months (in addition to normal oil changes), but your upper engine parts (like cylinders) will stay very well-lubricated for a LONG time. Obviously, there's a point at which oil use becomes excessive, but I wouldn't complain if my engine used a quart every 2000 miles or so.

Old 05-06-2008, 09:54 AM
middleriggle

Use a quart of oil every 2k? Where do you live and can I borrow some money? if you're burning a quart in 2k mile, you have something seriously wrong. I have nothing against adding oil if you need it, but seriously. CHANGE YOUR OIL! Recommended on trucks is 2500-3500 unless your using synthetic or got a beefed up motor. Synthetics run 4000-5000, and beefed up motors will run less. So people, do us all a favor, spend $20 and get your oil changed. If you don't feel like doing it, take it to a quick change place, they're normally not more than $25. IT WILL SAVE YOU MONEY IN THE LONG RUN.

Old 05-06-2008, 11:32 AM
JasonA
Veteran

middleriggle, you'd probably be surprised, then, if you ask Dodge what an acceptable rate of consumption is. Almost all auto makers (including Dodge) specify 1 quart per 1000 miles as acceptable. Any rate higher than that, a problem is indicated. Any rate less than that, and it's just chalked up to manufacturing tolerances. There's not necessarily anything wrong.

Oil consumption has absolutely nothing to do with you oil change interval. If an engine is going to use some oil, it'll do so whether you change your oil every 1000 miles, every 3000 miles, or every 5000 miles. If your engine already uses oil, shortening your oil change interval won't stop the oil consumption.

So before you blast off, check with the manufacturer of the vehicle you drive...you'll apparently be mighty surprised by what it says regarding oil consumption.