2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

HHO Fuel cell

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 10:38 AM
smleblanc
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HHO Fuel cell

You could try puting a resistor accross the CTS and IAT sensors.
Needs to be done correctly and I've seen a few devices on EBay that do it for very inexpensive.

Here is a good write up.

http://www.fuelsaver-mpg.com/doc/TuningForMileage.html
There is also so information on adjusting your MAP and MAF in here.

They also mention Wide Band 02 so probably worth the read.

You could also try an 02 extender.
http://cgi.ebay.ca/O2-Sensor-Riser-H...QQcmdZViewItem

Or this.
http://cgi.ebay.ca/I-A-T-MAF-MAP-PUL...dZp1638Q2em124

I've not tried either but in the middle of putting all the pieces I need together for my Hydronator.

Good Luck!

Regards,
Shawn

Old 07-10-2008, 02:38 AM
tazzmenn

First, I have worked for Ballard Power the world leader in fuel cell technology.Check out what a real fuel cell is at http://www.ballard.com/About_Ballard/Resources/How_Fuel_Cells_Work.htmThe Ballard and Honda and GM fuel cell uses reverse electrolysis. The device"HHO"is not a fuel cell. It is a twelve volt electrolysis (water splitter) it cracks the 2H2O(l) into 2H2(g) + O2(g). This technology is over a hundred years.Or you can call this device an electrochemical cell.

The introduction of Hydrogen into the air intake will blend the air and hydrogen. This blending under a light pressure (less then 0.1 Bar) creates water vapor that is introduced into the intake. This moist hydrogen enriched airwith fuel is introduced to the intake manifold.

When mixed with oxygen across a wide range of proportions, hydrogen explodes upon ignition. Hydrogen burns violently in air. It ignites automatically at a temperature of 560°C.Pure hydrogen-oxygen flames burn in the ultraviolet color range and are nearly invisible to the naked eye, as illustrated by the faintness of flame from the main Space Shuttle engines (as opposed to the easily visible flames from the secondary rocket booster).

Hydrogen burns at an incredible high temperature. The ignition temp of 560° C or 1040° Fthat is at zero pressure and room temperature. What do you think the long-term effects will be to the internal components of your engine? How is this any different then blending Nitro methane into your fuel? About a century ago there were engines made to run on H² but there were no materials to use at the time that would stand up (long term)to the immense temperature.

This seems more like a product designed to provide immediate gratification against high fuel cost, a band-aid of sorts. Successful for the short term, based on what I have learnt this is not a long term solution to fuel economy.

Old 07-10-2008, 05:17 PM
smleblanc

Some valid points for sure that I will keep in mind. You seem to know your stuff. As far as long term effects go, who knows, I don't. This is an experiment that I will be documenting and carefully working with. I will post my results including video.

I plan tocome up with some way to pull the water vapour before it enters the stream.(ideas??) Short term fuel savings and environmental impactis exactly what I am looking for. Plus I don't want to have to get rid of my truck or drive it any less because of gas prices. (If I don't kill it)From what I figure in about 5 years or maybe a bit more (2015)I should be able to purchase a real Hydrogen powered vehicle and truly have just water as my exhaustbyproduct.

I worked for many years directly for Ed Ballard, the son of the founder of Ballard Power, Geoff Ballard. - I thinkthey formed another company called General Hydrogen.

Cheers,
Shawn.

Old 07-16-2008, 03:01 PM
rpowell
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok guys/gals here's an update.

I was getting a good 25-30% increase and then the computer reared it ugly head. I am in the process of messing w/O2's and putting in a map adjuster in order to trick the computer into staying lean, I'll let you know what works. So far I have about $200 or so invested in the system, but I know it has the potential to work so I am not giving up easily (I want to drive truck).

I do know that KOH is a better higher producing solute than baking soda. It doesn't cake up the lines and last longer, it does however draw more amps (burnt fuses to prove it) so be careful. You also will need to wear a face mask (cheap one is fine) or cover your nose & mouth while putting it in the jar. You would have to inhale a ton of fumes to hurt you, but better safe than sorry.I am waiting on a continueous (how do you spell that?) duty solenoid for my power source, which should take care of the fuse issue.

I will keep you guys/gals posted.

Old 07-16-2008, 03:29 PM
smleblanc

I'm using a 30AMP fuse and KOH in my testing so far.

If you use KOH start with 1/4 tsp (teaspoon) per gallon of water. I pre mix a gallon of distilled water before hand. That should give you about a 15AMP draw.
1/2 tsp should put you up near 25AMP.

Be careful and start off with less!

Old 07-16-2008, 06:05 PM
rpowell
Veteran

ORIGINAL: smleblanc

I'm using a 30AMP fuse and KOH in my testing so far.

If you use KOH start with 1/4 tsp (teaspoon) per gallon of water. I pre mix a gallon of distilled water before hand. That should give you about a 15AMP draw.
1/2 tsp should put you up near 25AMP.

Be careful and start off with less!
It also depends on what type of and thickness of wire is used. I use SS bolts (these last longer and can take more current) and require about 4X the solute. KOH seems to work great for production, but like smleblanc said take it slow and be careful or you will fry something for sure.

Old 07-16-2008, 06:07 PM
rpowell
Veteran

Oh yeah I also noticed that there are a bunch of people on Ebay selling O2 extenders for $9-$20 each. Go to an auto parts store get the 18mm spark plug anti-foulers (costs $4.50 for 2) and there you go.

Old 07-16-2008, 06:42 PM
smleblanc

From my research, I'm not a big fan of the 02 extenders. I guess I have two reasons for this;

1. I cannot just flip a switch in my dash to go back to stock. (pulling my boat or trailer I might not want HHO on?)
2. You cannot control the exact voltage to the 02, hence the exact amount of fuel. Every HHO unit will be different and produce different amouts of gas so I think we need to control the fuel mixture a little more to get maximum results.

I guess I'll see what happens when I mount this bad boy into my truck. I will post my results and video once I burn through a tank or two of gas!

rpowell, good point on the wire. Yet another varialble to think about when generating HHO. I think I am using 12 gauge wire, not sure actually but it is pretty think with loop connectors to the battery and ground.

Old 07-29-2008, 04:31 PM
nomolos1
Rookie

Has anyone got any more data? I will not be able to use mine on my Dakota, because the tranny is going out on it. Looks like I will be hooking up the VW. Hope it works well.

Old 08-05-2008, 04:02 PM
rpowell
Veteran

Been awhile since I posted. My shop has gotten real busy (scooter sales are a boomin) and we just got back from vacation. I have not installed any of the new devices, but should have everything installed by the end of next week and have some new data the following week. I will keep you guys posted. If I can retain the 30% increase I've have gotten before, then this is 100% worth the $. Should give me between 5-8 more miles per gallon, so 110-176 miles per tank (only use 22 gallons or less then fill up again), which is $28 a tank, $141 savings a month (5 tanks) with only $250 invested will make me feel warm & fuzy inside (keepin my fingers crossed).
Keep ya posted.

Quick Reply: HHO Fuel cell